Testing for COVID-19
Working with the local health board and Public Health Wales, we will continue to follow Welsh Government guidelines, through their Test, Trace and Protect strategy. This approach will help us identify infections, help prevent the virus from spreading, and allow us to provide support to our students and staff.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature: this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough: this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste: this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
It is important that if you experience any of these symptoms, DO NOT go to your GP surgery, or any medical facility or hospital without prior permission.
What to do if you are experiencing symptoms:
If you experience COVID-19 symptoms, you should:
- Self-isolate immediately
- Notify the University by logging into your student record (studentrecord.aber.ac.uk), click on the Personal tab and choose Report COVID-19 symptoms from the drop-down menu
- After completing the online form, you will receive further directions by email.
- Please follow the directions you receive carefully to find out, whether you need a test for COVID-19, and if so what to do next
What should I do next?
It is extremely important that you isolate yourself from other people while you are experiencing symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- Stay away from people you live with as much as possible
- Don't use shared spaces (such as the kitchen) at the same time as other people – eat your meals in your room
- Don't go to your academic department or any public places
- Don't go on public transport or use taxis
- Don't go out to get food and medicine – order it online or by phone, or ask someone to bring it to your home
- Don't have visitors in your home, including friends and family
- Don't go outside to exercise – exercise in your room
- Stay on your own in one room as much as possible and keep the door closed
- Use a separate bathroom - or, use the bathroom after everyone else and clean it each time you use it, for example, by wiping the surfaces you've touched
If you are having difficulty completing the online form, please contact email@example.com.
Please ensure that your personal details on your student record, including your term time address and mobile phone number are correct and up to date. If you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and require a test, the results will be delivered by text message.
Do not attend any testing facilities without prior arrangement as this could adversely affect their ability to provide tests to those who need them, and tests will not be undertaken without prior arrangement.
For the up to date list of symptoms and details of how to self-isolate, follow the Welsh Government guidance available at https://gov.wales/self-isolation-stay-home-guidance-households-possible-coronavirus