New Students 2020
Depending on which country you are arriving from, you may need to self-isolate (not leave your accommodation) for a period of 14 days. You can check whether you need to self-isolate or not on the UK Government website.
Aberystwyth University accommodation will be open for students who need to self-isolate from Saturday 5th September 2020. This will allow you to self-isolate before the Big Welcome Weekend and Orientation Week begins.
There will be no additional charge for accommodation for the period 5th-17th September 2020, if you arrive early to self-isolate.
In some cases, students will be able to self-isolate in the same room they will be allocated for term-time, however, please note this is not guaranteed.
We will support any self-isolating students with ordering food and supplies to be delivered to your door.
Arriving to Aberystwyth and Airport Pick Up
Birmingham International Airport (BHX) is the most convenient place to book your flight to, but many students also fly into Manchester Airport (MAN) or London Heathrow (LHR).
Airport Pick Up
Aberystwyth University will provide an Airport Pick Up service, free of charge, from Birmingham Airport on the following dates:
- Saturday 19th September
- Sunday 20th September
Online booking of this service is essential.
Socially distanced coaches will be provided, and face-coverings will be compulsory.
Light refreshments will be provided on the coach and there is a designated stop.
The journey will take around 3 hours.
The booking form is now closed.
Travel by Train
- If you cannot make the Airport Pick Up, you will easily be able to travel to the University by train;
- From Birmingham International Airport (BHX), follow the ‘Train’ signs, and take an 'Air-Rail Link' transfer to Birmingham International train station;
- Train times can found at www.nationalrail.co.uk (you are looking for Birmingham International to Aberystwyth);
- It is easier to take a train with no changes, but there are also trains with a change in the station of Shrewsbury;
- Train tickets cost between £30.00 - £40.00. You can book online in advance, or buy from the station when you arrive. Please make sure you have a credit/debit card that can be used in the UK or that you have enough money to cover the train fare;
- Once you arrive at Aberystwyth train station, you can take a taxi to your accommodation for about £5.00. On some days there will be mini-buses from the University coming to take students to the campus.
Accessing your Accommodation
If you take the Airport Pick Up service, you will be given the key to your accommodation on the coach, as long as you are living in University-managed accommodation.
If you are not on the Airport Pick Up, you will have to book a time slot to pick up your key at the Accommodation Office. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0)1970 62 2984 to arrange your collection.
We are aware that many students will find it difficult to arrive in the UK, in September due to travel, visa or other restrictions. We are committed to ensuring these students are not academically disadvantaged.
Students who cannot be in Aberystwyth in person can register online and begin their studies online. Lecturers will be recorded and tutorials will be held in a webinar format.
Our programmes are not online degrees, so students should make every effort to get to the University if they can. Currently, there is no deadline to arrive, but the University may give notice for students to make their way to the campus to continue their studies if global COVID-19 restrictions are removed.