Partner Profile: McGill University

Aberystwyth University students have the opportunity to study on a direct exchange at McGill University located in Montréal, Canada.

Type of link:‌



Grandescunt Aucta Labore‌‌


Marty the Martlet



Number of students

  • 27,000 UG
  • 10,000 PG


McGill University is located in the middle of Montreal, Cananda and the main campus sits at the foot of Mount Royal. Montreal is the largest, most populous city in Quebec and also the most bi-lingual city in Quebec with around 56% of residents able to speak both French and English. The city has a very rich cultural scene with lots of attractions to keep you busy including the Old Town to explore. 

With some 300 buildings, 40,000 students, 250,000 living alumni, and a reputation for excellence that reaches around the globe, McGill has carved out a spot among the world's greatest universities.


Most courses are offered in both English and French, but students do not need to be bilingual. Students from any academic department are eligible to apply at the discretion of their department’s exchange coordinator. There are a number of course available that are similar to the following departments in Aberystwyth. These include:


There are some places available for exchange students in on-campus housing. Students must apply in time; for fall and full year exchanges tick “Yes” under “Residence Accommodation” section in the online application and for Winter term exchanges students will have to e-mail in order to verify the availability of spaces. Alternatively, students are free to arrange off-campus housing.

Visa Information and Other Costs

Depending on the duration of the exchange, some students may not need a visa or study permit to attend McGill. However students must check if they will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to enter Canada. This currently costs $7 CAD. If you do need a study permit then according to the Canadian goverment's website 'Your eTA or visa will be issued to you at the same time as your study permit. You do not need to apply separately or to pay an additional fee.'

If students intend to study at McGill for longer than one term then they will also need a Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) which is issued by Immigration Quebec and gives them permission to live and study in Quebec.

ALL students attending McGill MUST participate in the University Health Insurance Plan  and the dental plan for the duration of their stay. Students are automatically enrolled in the these plans and do not need to complete application forms. 

Getting There‌

The closest international airport to McGill is Montréal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport which is about a 7 hour flight from London. The university doesn't offer a pick-up service but transfers to campus can be made by bus or taxi. 

International students are expected to arrive a few days in advance of term dates. 

How to Apply

All students wishing to go on an exchange to McGill University must apply through Aberystwyth University as they must first be nominated by the international office and students usually go in the second semester of their second year unless they have special permission from their department. Applications are made online.