Are you on a Tier 4 visa?

How to protect your Tier 4 status

Download PDF: Protecting Your Visa Status (PDF)

If you have been granted a Tier 4 visa, you will be sponsored by Aberystwyth University under the UKVI’s Tier 4 Points Based System. As your Tier 4 sponsor, Aberystwyth University must comply with the ‘UKVI’s Sponsorship Duties’ which includes making sure that all Tier 4 students meet their Tier 4 responsibilities as summarised below.

Are your contact details on your Student Record accurate?

You must keep your ‘Home’ address (where you live at home), ‘Term’ address (where you live in Aberystwyth), and UK phone number, up to date!

Check your Student Record

Do you need to register with the police?

If you are from one of these nationalities and are coming to study for 6 months or more you will need to register with the police within seven days of collecting your BRP.

You will be able to do this on campus during the ‘International Students Document Check’ at the start of the academic year.

If you arrive after the start of term you will need to attend the Aberystwyth Police Station – there is no reason to worry about this, our local police are very friendly and welcoming!

Do you know what will happen if you do not attend your lectures and other timetabled activities?

Aberystwyth University’s regulations require students to attend all timetabled activities. If you are on a Tier 4 visa and you miss 10 consecutive contact points, you will be reported to the UKVI and your visa will be curtailed.

Do you know how many hours you are allowed to work?

If you are doing a course at degree level or above such as a UG, Masters or PhD course you will be allowed to work 20 hours per week during term time and full time during any vacation periods. If you are doing a course below degree level such as Pre-sessional course or an International Foundation course you will be allowed to work 10 hours per week. Be careful! Term time and Vacation periods are not the same for all students – you can check term times here

Are you planning to write up your dissertation/thesis from home?

You are allowed to do this - you will continue to be registered at Aberystwyth University (AU) and will be able to access facilities, AU will report this to the Home Office and your visa will be curtailed.

Do you need to be away from Aberystwyth to conduct fieldwork?

This is fine – you will need to go through the ‘Authorised Absence’ procedure so that your absence is approved and a change of study location is reported to the UKVI.

Do you need to time off from your studies for personal reasons during term time?

This needs to be approved by your academic department! Follow the steps in the Authorised Absence procedure to ensure that your absence is not recorded as ‘unauthorised’ which could result in your visa being curtailed.

Thinking of undertaking a Work Placement as part of your course?

You may already be registered on a course which includes a work placement, if so make sure that your academic department is aware that you are a Tier 4 visa holder. If your course does not include a work placement contact the International Student Adviser.

To seek advice, email

Considering withdrawing from your course? Or perhaps you need to resit a module or repeat a year?

You will need to contact the International Student Adviser (ISA) to seek advice on your Tier 4 visa, email

Do you need to extend your Tier 4 visa to progress onto another course?

The International Student Adviser (ISA) can provide you with full support to extend your Tier 4 visa, email

The International Student Adviser offers specialised advice on study visas to potential and current students, to safeguard their immigration status. Immigration advice provided by the International Student Adviser is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner and must therefore meet certain standards, ensuring that students receive friendly and efficient visa guidance.