Applying for a Short-term Study visa
A student's journey
Check whether the Short-term Study visa is the right visa for you.Check visa 1
Collect all your ‘Supporting documents needed for a Short-term Study visa’.Supporting Documents 2
Check whether you need to apply for a 'Short-term Study visa' before travelling to the UK, or whether you can apply for a 'Short-term Study stamp' at the airport.3
If your country is listed in the Appendix 2. Visa National List, or, if you are arriving via Ireland – you need to apply for your 'Short-term Study visa' before travelling to the UK, by following the instructions below:
- Complete an on-line application form available from https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/apply-visa-type.
- Select the following option: Short-term student visa
- Pay the Short-term Study visa fee, currently £97 for a six month visa, paid in the local currency of the country that you are applying from.
- Make an appointment at your nearest visa application centre https://www.gov.uk/find-a-visa-application-centre.
- Attend your appointment, submit all your supporting documents, and provide biometric data.
- You should receive a decision on your Short-term Study visa within three weeks from the date you submitted your application. Do not book flights or accommodation until you have received your visa
If your country is not listed in the Appendix 2. Visa National List – you do not need to apply for a visa before travelling, instead you need to have your passport stamped at the airport with a ‘Short-term student stamp' by following the steps below:
- Bring the ‘Supporting documents needed for a Short-term Study visa’ in your hand luggage.
- Do not use ePassport gates.
- Speak to a Border Force official when you go through ‘Passport Control’ and show them the ‘Request for a passport stamp’ image below (you can download this onto your mobile devices).
- Check that your passport has been stamped with a ‘Short-term student stamp', see example below.
You will not be able to study at Aberystwyth University unless you have a ‘Short-term study visa’, or, your passport has been stamped with a ‘Short-term student stamp'.6
Contact the International Student Adviser if you have any questions or need help with applying for your visa.Email firstname.lastname@example.org 7