Current Awareness - Keeping up to Date
Today we have electronic resources for current awareness which are fast and efficient, but there is a bewildering array of sources and services available. Here is an introduction to some of types of sites and services you might want to try out.
- Set up alerts on Primo, the library catalogue, to receive messages about incoming library stock that matches your regular searches using the Save query option above your search results. You can also turn on notifications for these queries which will send an email notification to you when there is an update to the query by clicking on Turn on notification for this query which will appear on the top of the page after you have saved your query, followed by SAVE (Note: you must be signed in to perform this action).
- Many databases and online journal collections offer alert services for which you will need to register and sign in.
- In particular, JournalTOCS and ZETOC allow you to supply a free text search for table of contents alerts (with the latter searching journals subscribed to by the British Library)
- Web of Science is good for setting up subject alerts on all subjects.
Academic and Professional Societies
Find societies related to your subject and see what support, news and training information they provide their members:
- Wikipedia's professional societies list
- Youth Services' list of professional organisations
- Total Profession's list of professional associations
News listing sites save you time by bringing together current news stories for your subject and beyond.
For more information please contact your subject librarian.
For guidance and ideas on how social networking can enhance your research profile and projects.