Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions (HEIs). Last conducted in 2014, the assessment:
Informs the selective allocation of research funding (Quality Research- QR) by the four higher education funding bodies, including HEFCW (Higher Education Funding Council of Wales), to HEIs with effect from 2015-16.
Provides accountability for public investment in research and produces evidence of the benefits of this investment.
Provides benchmarking information and reputational yardsticks, for use within the higher education sector and for public information.
Aberystwyth University REF2014 results
Aberystwyth University significantly improved the quality of its research in REF 2014.
The results reported that 95% of the research activity submitted by Aberystwyth University was of an internationally recognised standard or higher, with world leading research (4*) identified in all 17 of the Units of Assessment submitted.
Full REF 2014 REF Results available from: http://results.ref.ac.uk/
- Within Top 50 institutions for Research Power (Research Fortnight/ Guardian) and Intensity (Times Higher Education).
Highest percentage of REF eligible staff submitted out of the research led Universities in Wales (76%).
The Department of International Politics ranked in Top 10 UK and first in Wales by research quality.
IBERS ranked in Top 10 UK by research intensity.
Other departments ranked within top three submitting departments in Wales by research intensity:
- School of Art
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of English & Creative Writing
- Department of Geography and Earth Sciences: 1st in Wales for research quality
- Department of History & Welsh History
- Department of Law & Criminology
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Department of Theatre, Film & Television Studies