Aberystwyth University and the Concordat to Support the Development of Researchers
The Concordat is an agreement between the funders and employers of researchers in the UK, representing a significant development in national policy to support good management of researchers and their careers.
- Recognition of the importance of recruiting, selecting and retaining researchers with the highest potential to achieve excellence in research
- Researchers are recognised and valued by their employing organisation as an essential part of their organisation's human resources and a key component of their overall strategy to develop and deliver world-class research
- Researchers are equipped and supported to be adaptable and flexible in an increasingly diverse, mobile, global research environment.
- The importance of researchers' personal and career development, and lifelong learning, is clearly recognised and promoted at all stages of their career
- Individual researchers share the responsibility for and need to pro-actively engage in their own personal and career development, and lifelong learning
- Diversity and equality must be promoted in all aspects of the recruitment and career management of researchers
- The sector and all stakeholders will undertake regular and collective review of their progress in strengthening the attractiveness and sustainability of research careers in the UK
The full text of the Concordat as well as further details about the background of the agreement are available here.
Aberystwyth University has a Policy Statement for the Recruitment, Management and Development of Research Staff that relates to the Concordat, and also has a Concordat implementation plan, all documents can be downloaded below.
Aberystwyth University also has a Researcher Concordat Group Chaired by the PVC Research and Academic Quality. The group overseas the annual review of the Policy Statement and manages the implementation plan. Should you wish to pass any comments, or require further information, please contact the Director of Research, Business & Innovation: Gary Reed
Aberystwyth University Researcher Induction Handbook - Researcher Induction Pack (pdf)
AU Researcher Development programmes, visit the Centre for Staff Development and Academic Practice website
Aberystwyth University is now a member of the Vitae network. Researchers and staff can now access the Vitae web resources by creating a login using your @aber.ac.uk email address. To log in visit: www.vitae.ac.uk
Vitae Reseacher Development Events please vist http://www.vitae.ac.uk/policy-practice/916/Events.html
Aberystwyth is a member of the Leadership Foundation and has free access to many of its reports and resources, and also receives a 25% discount on the full price of training and courses. Some of their events are also free. Please see here for more details.
Department of Research, Business & Innovation website - providing points of contact and resources for researchers, including the Research Grant Application Toolkit (please note, AU staff access is required for some elements of this site)
Implementation and Review Documents:
April 2017 - Action Plan for 2017-2018 Final Version
January 2017 - Concordat Implementation Report 2015-16
January 2017 - Implementation Plan for 2015-2016
January 2017 - Action Plan for 2017-2018
December 2014 - AU Concordat Implementation 2015-16 Action Plan
December 2014 - AU Concordat Implementation 2012-14 Action Plan Review
December 2014 - AU Concordat Implementation Report 2010-14