Data Protection Information
Aberystwyth University Sports Centre records, safeguards and uses information that we hold on customers when they join our membership scheme or any of our short courses. The Sports Centre is committed to the protection of our valued members and local community user’s privacy through compliance of the Data Protection Act and current best practice.
Legal basis for processing your information
When you sign up for membership or a short course, the information we take from you and subsequently process will be done on the basis of the Sports Centre’s legitimate interest in processing that data because of the relationship established (General Data Protection Regulation Art. 6(1)(f)). We will ask your consent to process any sensitive information, such as medical conditions (see above), and process this information on the basis of that consent (General Data Protection Regulation Art. 6(1)(a)). Remember, you can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to change your information or request for removal of certain information from our systems or to ask questions about the way in which we process your information
How we collect information
In order to join our membership scheme, use the gym or take part in any organised activity such as running group or swimming lesson etc, we request that you provide us with basic information that will help us identify you and allow us to help you get the best service from the Sports Centre. We collect this information either:
- In person from you, when you come to complete your application form or PAR-Q before your gym induction.
- Via the web, when you buy an online purchase
- Via Astra, which already holds information relating to staff and students
- Via a transfer of information via Aber People when staff join Sports Centre Membership
The information we collect
- We need to be able to identify our members and anyone who signs up for a short course, or wishes to use the gym
- This is basic information such as your full name, address and contact details
- It might also include more sensitive data such as any medical issues that might affect your workout or your bank details if you are setting up a direct debit with us.
- Sometimes we need information about your child as well as yourself – usually name and date of birth, so that we can look at our children’s class set up in swimming, climbing or our summer camps.
- We have a general “PAR-Q” information sheets which stands for “Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire” which gives us an indication of your current fitness levels and any medical or physical attributes that might require us to modify your exercise when you are here at the Sports Centre.
- Although we do ask for gender, this information is not used for reporting purposes.
How we use the information
- We use your personal information to create a member profile that is unique to you.
- We use your name and date of birth to generate, or obtain your Personal Number on Astra for membership or on the Matrix system to record if you have done a gym induction, or when you join a swimming or climbing lesson or attend our children’s sports camps.
- Having a UID allows our systems to operate efficiently and ensures that you are charged at the correct amount.
- We use your email to circulate information regarding classes and membership changes here at the Sports Centre
- If you have requested a monthly payment, then as an external member, we will use the Banking information that you gave us to set up a 12 month Direct Debit
- You are able to request how we contact you, and ask to be removed from mailing lists
- By law, you are now able to ask for all personal data regarding you to be removed from our membership and gym systems. However, please be aware that this will invalidate your membership and you may have to complete a Gym Induction the next time you wish to use the Sports Centre.
- You are able to amend your membership end date by:
- Informing us in person – but you will have to cancel your DD at the bank
- As a member of staff, by updating your AberPeople payment record
- As a student, by letting us know if you are leaving the University
Request for removal
- Your membership information updated at the end of your term unless you request to terminate early or set up another 12 month membership.
- We can remove all your records from the gym system, but you will then need to complete an induction if you wish to use the gym at a later date.
How we protect your personal information
- Our membership information is held centrally on the University’s record system. This allow us to have a protected and robust database to ensure that your information is not shared externally
- We use credible payment methods for your credit card transactions at the till
- We have a resilient Direct Debit system that utilises the University’s financial systmes and we work closely with the Finance Department offices to ensure that all data in relation to your bank details follows correct protocols.
- We do not share your information to external parties
- We only use your information for membership purposes or when you sign up for a course or a gym induction.
- We do not sell or distribute our mailing lists
- When you sign up for membership or a short course, we ask you to provide information to enable us to process your application
- Full terms and conditions of these can be had in hard copy or seen online on our web page
- You can email us on email@example.com to change your information or request for removal from our systems
Right of access
- You have the right to request permission to see what data we hold on your account and how we use this information to process your application
- Our webpages only hold information regarding activities and facilities at the Sports Centre and do not have any direct external links.
Social Media Platforms
- We frequently use social media platforms to promote what is going on at the Sports Centre. We use photographs of our members in classes and other venues only with permission of that person.
- We sometimes have a professional photographer to come and take shots; permission will be asked for before the photoshoot and pre-warning will be given on social media sites
- Sometimes our teachers will ask to take a shot during or after the class.
- No photographs or videos are taken without informing the members first
- Any photographed used on our sites can be removed if the person wishes
- We have clear signage in the Sports Centre to prohibit photographs being taken by other users
- We have a general Facebook pages which provides information. External users are not able to post onto the main page, but can ask questions via Facebook Messenger
- We have a specific FitTogether Facebook page, which is a closed group for our members and class tutors to share information and ask questions
- We have a Twitter page for information only (@AberSport)
- We have an Instagram page (@sportaber)