Mental Health Promotion
Worried about Mental Health? 1 in 4 people will experience some form of mental health issue during their life time (NHS)
Talk to someone about their mental health problems
- Take the lead: If you know someone has been unwell don't be afraid to ask how they are.
- Avoid clichés: Phrases like 'cheer up', 'I'm sure it'll pass,' 'Pull yourself together' definitely won't help the conversation! Being open minded, non-judgemental and listening will.
- Ask how you can help: People will want support at different times in different ways, so ask how you can help.
- Don't avoid the issue: If someone comes to you to talk, don't brush it off because this can be a hard step to take. Acknowledge their illness and let them know that you're there for them.
- Stay in touch: Actions are important too so stay in touch with a text, email or postcard and let someone know you are thinking about them.
For University Procedure please see:
Aberystwyth University Mental Health First Aiders