The Department has internationally acknowledged expertise in the following research areas:
Theatre and Performance Research
Prof Mike Pearson, (EMERITUS), MA PhD (Wales)
- Performance theory and practice; dramaturgy; interdisciplinary research in archaeology, geography and folklore.
Simon Banham , BA (Newcastle)
- Contemporary scenography; opera design; devised performance.
- Contemporary design in performance; computer aided scenography; directing practice.
Dr Andrew Filmer , BA Hons. I, PhD (Sydney)
- Place and performance; theatre architecture; backstage space; improvisation.
Prof David Ian Rabey , MA (Calif), PhD (Birm)
- Contemporary British and Irish drama, theatre in society, theatre and time, creative writing for the stage.
Film and Television Research
Prof Martin Barker, (EMERITUS) BA (UWE); DPhil (Bristol)
- Media audience research; censorship and public controversies over film and other media; media adaptations and transformations; contemporary Hollywood
Dr Glen Creeber , BA MA (Lancaster), PhD (East Anglia),
- Television drama and dramaturgy and new media
Dr Kate Egan , MA PhD (Nottingham)
- British cinema; the horror film; genre study; film censorship; film history; audience and reception studies; memory and nostalgia; fan culture
Dr Jamie Medhurst , FRHistS, BA MLib PhD (Wales)
- Broadcasting history and policy, especially between 1920 and 1960; documentary film history; broadcasting in Wales and the Welsh language; television and national identity
Dr Kim Knowles , BA Hons (Stirling), MSc PhD (Edinburgh)
- Experimental film (historical and contemporary); early French avant-garde film (1920s); Dada and Surrealist film; avant-garde and modernism in film, theatre, poetry and photography; technological transition and obsolescence; analogue film cultures.
Dr Birgit Beumers (EMERITUS), BA (Hons) CNAA 1986; DPhil (Oxon) 1991
- Russian, European and Central Asian cinema; history of animation; transnational cinema;
Welsh Theatre and Media
Dr Margaret Ames , BH (London), MA (Wales), Grad Dip (Surrey)
- Community dance; dance therapy; devised performance
Dr Anwen Jones , BA (Bristol), MPhil (Wales)
- European theatre; theatre in Ireland
Dr Roger Owen , BA, PhD (Wales)
- Contemporary Welsh theatre and performance; Welsh theatre history
Dr Kate Woodward , BA, MA, PhD (Aberystwyth)
- The Welsh Film Board (1971-1986), Early Films of S4C, Welsh cinema during the 1990s.