Terms and Conditions
1. All international applicants who have applied to Aberystwyth by 30th June and placed Aberystwyth as their Firm choice of University will automatically be considered for a Scholarship. In the case of direct applicants, they must have applied to and selected Aberystwyth as their Firm / first choice by 30th June
2. Applicants must be classed as full-time overseas students for fee paying purposes. The Scholarships are available to self-financing students only. This includes students using overseas government loans to fund their studies.
3. Applicants must be undertaking a full degree at Aberystwyth University and must be applying to study a full degree (not gaining entry to years 2 or 3 of a course).
4. Applicants may not previously have been degree students at any university for a period of more than 1 year.
5. Awards will be determined by the International Scholarships Committee, whose decision is final and not open to appeal. The Committee will not directly correspond with applicants before or after the application has been made. Applicants or their families who attempt to lobby a committee member will be ineligible for the scholarships administered under the Aberystwyth Scholarships Fund. Aberystwyth University reserves the right to not award scholarships where no suitable candidates are identified.
6. Applicants awarded a scholarships will be informed by email from the Communications, Marketing and Public Affairs Office on behalf of the International Scholarships Committee. Details of the award will be provided in a document enclosed in the email. All official arrangements will be made with the applicant directly. The deadline for accepting the scholarship will be within 2 weeks of notification.
7. All international candidates are required to demonstrate the ability to fund their studies including their living expenses in accordance with the University’s obligations under our Tier 4 license and Border Office regulations. Scholarships will be awarded subject to the University receiving all necessary documentation to complete the application to study e.g. passport photos, copies of results, confirmation of English language ability, photocopy of passport, financial declaration form, deposit, by 31 August.
8. Scholarships take form of a discount on tuition fees. These scholarships are not available as a cash alternative. Where the applicant arranges to pay fees by instalment the scholarship will be deducted from the final instalment. Where the candidate arranges to pay their tuition fees in full in advance, they will receive the scholarship deduction immediately and the tuition fee will be adjusted accordingly.
9. These scholarships may not be combined with most other Aberystwyth University awards, scholarships or bursaries, but they may be combined with the Early Payment Discount, and the Aberystwyth International Scholarships.
10. The continuation of all scholarships is based on satisfactory academic performance, as defined by normal progression from one year to the next (please refer to our Examination Conventions for further details). A scholarship may be withdrawn on the grounds of failure to comply with any of the conditions of the award which has been made. The candidate may be required to repay the University any award which has been made, in whole or in part, as determined by the Committee. If the scholar feels that such a withdrawal is unjustified s/he may appeal in writing to the Head of the International Office within 15 days of the date of notification.
11. Students undertaking a 4 year course which includes a year in employment, year in industry, year abroad etc. don't receive the discount for the 3rd year of their course.
12. Where an International student holding an Aberystwyth International Scholarship Fund award is excluded from the University, and as a result the University withdraws its Tier 4 sponsorship of that student, the scholarship will be withdrawn.
13. Scholarships will be allocated in the year which they are applied and awarded for. In the event of candidates deferring the year of entry the scholarship can also be deferred. If it is deemed necessary for the Scholarship holder to suspend their studies, the scholarship will be held on University account and carried forward to the year of resumption of studies and the candidate will be expected to pay their contribution on a pro-rata basis.
14. During and after the period of study the candidate may be asked to participate in promotional activities for the University. This may include receptions and social events, testimonial or publicity articles or even assisting with activities in their home country.
15. Any Agent commission will be based on the net fee paid by the student.
16. Scholarships are awarded on the understanding that applicants intend to return to their home countries after completion of the course.
17. Administering the programme – selecting candidates:
- Applicants are normally permanent residents of the target country.
- It should be noted that a flexible approach will be required and whilst the scholarships will be marketed in countries as stated above, there may be variation in the scholarship allocation, dependant on number and quality of applications from each country.
- For the purposes of allocating the undergraduate scholarship to applicants from a specific target country the following procedure will be used:
- Within country, applications will be ranked by academic achievement.
- The top ranked applicants for each target country will be awarded the scholarships up to the maximum number of scholarships allocated to the target country.
- Where no/insufficient suitable applicants are identified from a target country the Committee retains the right to not award and allocate the remaining scholarships to the All Other Countries allocation.
- For the purposes of allocating the undergraduate scholarships to applicants from countries that have not been specifically targeted, the following procedure will be used:
- Applications will be ranked by academic achievement.
- The top ranked applicants will be awarded the scholarships up to the maximum number of scholarships allocated to All Other Countries.
- Where insufficient/no suitable applicants are identified the Committee reserves the right to not award.