|Module Title||CONTEMPORARY BRITISH AND IRISH DRAMA|
|Co-ordinator||Dr David Rabey|
|Pre-Requisite||DR10120 , DR10220|
|Course delivery||Lecture||10 Hours 10 x 1 hour lectures|
|Seminar||10 Hours 10 x 1 hour seminars|
|Assessment||Exam||2 Hours 2 hour written exam||60%|
|Essay||Essay (2500 words)||40%|
- To examine a selection of contemporary British and Irish texts.
- To consider theatrical problems and consequences of previous and possible productions.
Typically, upon completion of this module students should be able:
- To shown an analytical understanding of a range of dramatic texts and production issues.
- To organise informed and original arguments reflecting research and independent thought in the subject area of the course.
- To demonstrate an intelligent awareness of current debates about the social purpose of drama during the period under review.
- To co-operate as part of a group in presenting an argument in the analysis of course material.
A course of directed reading and weekly discussion, moving through waters imperfectly navigated by most of the existing literary criticism which ostensibly relates to it.
** Essential Reading
Barker, Howard. The Bite of the Night. Calder
Churchill, Caryl. The Skriker. Nick Hern Books
Bond, Edward. Lost in the Formal West. Methuen
Kane, Sarah. Blasted and Phaedra's LoveI. Methuen
Morrison, Bill. A Lovesong for Ulster. Nick Hern Books
Friel, Brian. Translations. Faber
Hutchinson, Ron. Rat in the Skull (copies available from the Departmental Office).
Rudkin, David. The Saxon Shore (copies available from the Departmental Office).
Thomas, Edward. Three Plays. Seren
Cartwright, Jim. Cruel Britannia. Methuen
Cartwright, Jim. I Licked a Slag's Deodorant. Methuen
Ravenhill, Mark. Shopping and F###ing. Methuen
Jones, Marie. Stones in his pockets. Nick Hern Books
O'Rowe, Mark. Howie the Rookie. Nick Hern Books
** Recommended Text
Barker, Howard. (1997) Arguments for a Theatre. 3rd Edition.
Davies, Hazel Walford (ed.). (1988) State of Play: 4 Playwrights of Wales.
Demastes, William W., (ed.). (1996) British Playwrights 1956-1995): A Research and Production Sourcebook.
Rabey, David Ian. (1986) British and Irish Political Drama in the Twentieth Century.
Rabey, David Ian. (1989) Howard Barker: Politics and Desire.
Rabey, David Ian. `The Bite of Exiled Love: Abjective Protagonists in Some Contemporary Anglo-Irish Dramas?, in Essays in Theatre, 13, No. 1, Nov. 1994 29-44.
Rabey, David Ian. (1997) David Rudkin: Sacred Disobedience.
** Recommended Text
Shank, Theodore (ed.). (1995) Modern British Theatre.