|Module Title||VECTOR CALCULUS|
|Co-ordinator||Dr R S Jones|
|Pre-Requisite||MA11010 , MA11210|
|Course delivery||Lecture||19 x 1hour lectures|
|Seminars / Tutorials||3 x 1hour example classes|
|Assessment||Exam||2 Hours (written examination)||100%|
|Resit assessment||2 Hours (written examination)||100%|
This module provides the mathematical framework necessary for the understanding of classical field theory and in particular hydrodynamics.
To introduce the mathematical concepts required for an understanding of classical field theory.
On completion of this module, a student should be able to:
1. Parametric representation of lines and surfaces;
2. Line, surface and volume integrals;
3. Vector and scalar fields; definitions of grad, div and curl;
4. Curvilinear coordinates, test for orthogonality;
5. Integral theorems of Gauss, Green and Stokes;
6. Harmonic functions and uniqueness theorems;
7. Laplace's equation in cylindrical and spherical polar coordinates, axially and spherically symmetric solutions.
** Recommended Text
B Spain. Vector Analysis. Van Nostrand