|Module Title||TWENTIETH- CENTURY IRISH LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION|
|Co-ordinator||Dr William Mahon|
|Semester||Intended for use in future years|
|Next year offered||N/A|
|Next semester offered||N/A|
|Other staff||Professor Patrick Sims-Williams|
|Course delivery||Lecture||11 Hours|
|Seminars / Tutorials||2 Hours|
|Assessment||Essay||c. 1500 words||25%|
|Resit assessment||written exam||100%|
1. You will be able to identify the major prose authors and poets of the period.
2. You will be able to discuss the social and political context of the literature of this period, and most particularly its relation to the issue of language revival, colonialism, and post-colonialism.
3. You will have an understanding of the literary context of this literature and be able to discuss how it was influenced by native (Gaelic) and foreign (English and European) models.
4. You will be able to discuss the importance of the regional literature of the Irish-speaking districts.
5. You will be able to identify the major poets of the period and to discuss their themes and influences.