|Module Title||MIDDLE AND EARLY MODERN IRISH (LANGUAGE+LITERATURE) 1+2|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Graham Isaac|
|Pre-Requisite||Irish Level 1|
|Course delivery||Lecture||22 Hours|
1. You will be able to read an Irish story chosen from the period 1000 - 1300, or, in the case of longer texts, passages excerpted from the story.
2. You will know how to analyse the language of the story according to the grammatical categories of Middle Irish forms and sentences.
3. You will know about some of the major linguistic changes which led from Old Irish to Middle Irish, and from Middle Irish to Modern Irish.
4. You will understand the literary substance of the chosen story, and its function in the society of the period.
5. You will be familiar with the context of the story in the history of Irish literature.