|Module Title||EARLY MODERN IRISH (LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE) 3+4|
|Co-ordinator||Dr William Mahon|
|Semester||Semester 2 (Taught over 2 semesters)|
|Course delivery||Lecture||22 Hours|
1. You will have read selections from an important and representative prose text of the
period (usually Seathrún Céitinn's Foras Feasa ar Éirinn).
2. You will have read a representative selection of syllabic poetry.
3. You will be able to discuss the social, political, and literary contexts of the chosen texts, as well as the author’s narrative technique.
4. You will be able to point out the grammatical features of an Early Modern Irish text that distinguish it from texts belonging to other periods.
5. You will be able to distinguish strict bardic verse from looser forms of syllabic poetry and from the popular accentual verse forms.
6. You will be able to discuss the social role of the bardic poet.