|Module Title||SOIL, GEOCHEMISTRY AND ENVIRONMENT|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Peter W Abrahams|
|Semester||Intended for use in future years|
|Next year offered||N/A|
|Next semester offered||N/A|
|Course delivery||Lecture||20 Hours 10 x 2 hours|
1. The history of soil: human interactions.
2. Archaeology and soil science.
3. Soil and fertilisers.
4. Soil and pesticides.
5. Trace-element geochemistry - geochemical mapping, trace-element deficiencies and toxicities in
plants and animals.
6. Soil and human health/geophagy.
7. Soil acidification and the impact of acid rain on soils.
8. Radionuclides in soils.
The module is primarily concerned with the U.K. environment, and will include a historical approach to many of the issues covered. Students are reminded that the course deals with soil chemistry, although the principles involved will be treated in such a way that the majority of students will be able to follow the topics.
This module is at CQFW Level 6