|| SPM0930 |
|| OVER FRANCO: SPANISH CINEMA OF THE DEMOCRACY |
|| 2003/2004 |
|| Dr Rob Stone |
|| Semester 2 |
| Course delivery
|| Seminars / Tutorials || 24 Hours Tutorial. 12 X 2 hour tutorials |
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||3 Hours 2 essays ||60%|
|Semester Assessment|| Continuous Assessment: 1 x 2,500 word essay ||40%|
On completion ofthis module, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an appreciation of Spanish films of the period from 1975 to the present day in relation to the social and political context.
2. Show an awareness and sensitivity for the development of regional film cultures and the evolving discourse on changing gender roles that have developed in response to the new pluralist and democratic nature of Spain.
3. Demonstrate an awareness of the potential of film as a medium for political discourse in terms of regionalism and sexual politics.
4. Demonstrate a knowledge of film technique and theory were relevant and necessary to the appreciation of the films on the course.
5. Express a knowledge and awareness of the issues and debates relating to the development of culture in Spain since the transition to democracy.
1. To examine the evolution of Spanish cinema since the end of the Francoist dictatorship (1939-1975).
2. To trace and analyse the response of Spanish film-makers to a new pluralist identity for Spain. Primarily this response has centred upon the emergence of regional film cultures (particularly those of Catalonia and the Basque Country) and the evolution of a cinematic discourse on changing social and political attitudes towards sexuality and gender roles.
3. To trac and analyse the auteurist trajectory of key film-makers (Pedro Almodovar, Imanol Uribe, Julio Medem, Vicente Aranda and Carlos Saura) in the context of the social and political changes in Spain from 1975 until the present day.
4. To study the evolution of Spanish culture from the transition to the present day.
This is an auteur based course and the films are therefore listed accordingly. Key films are indicated with an *. Key films are available with subtitles in English. Most other films are also available with subtitles in English.
Cambio de sexo (1977)
La muchacha de las bragas de oro (1979)
El proceso de Burgos (1979)
La fuga de Segovia (1981)
La muerte de Mikel (1983)
Dias contados (1995)*
!Que he hecho yo para merecer esto! (1983)
La ley del deseo (1986)*
Tacones lejanos (1991)
La ardilla roja (1993)*
Los amantes del circulo polar (1998)
Bodas de sangre (1991)
** Recommended Consultation
Angulo, J; Heredero, C F; Rebordinos, J L Entre el documental y la ficcion: el cine de Imanol Uribe
Filmoteca Vasca y Caja Vital Kutxa
Besas, P (1985) Behind the Spanish Lens: Spanish Cinema under Fascism and Democracy
Arden Press Inc, USA
D'Lugo, M (1991) Carlos Saura: The Practice of Seeing
Princeton University Press, Princeton
Edwards, G (1995) Indecent Exposures
Marion Boyars, London
Evans, P W (1993) Back to the Future: Cinema and Democracy, in Graham, H, Labanyi, J (eds) Spanish Cultural Studies: An Introduction
Graham, H; Labanyi, J (eds) (1995) Spanish Cultural Studies: An Introduction
Oxford University Press
Hooper, J (1995) The New Spaniards
Jordan, B (2000) How Spanish is it? Spanish Cinema and National Identity in Jordan, B; Morgan-Tamosunas, R. (eds) Contemporary Spanish Cultural Studies (pp. 68-78)
Kinder, M (1993) Blood Cinema: The Reconstruction of National Identity on Spain
University of California Press, USA
Kinder, M (1997) Refiguring Spain: Cinema/Media/Representation
Duke University Press, USA
Kinder, M (1999) Sex Change and Cultural Transformation in Aranda and Abril's "Cambio de sexo" in Evans, P W (ed) Spanish Cinema: The Auteurist Tradition
Oxford University Press
Montero, R (2000) 'The Silent Revolution: The Social and Cultural Advances of Women in Democratic Spain'in Jordan, B, Morgan-Tamosunas, R (eds) Contemporary Spanish Cultural Studies
Mast, G; Cohen, M; Braudy, L (eds) Film Theory and Criticism (pp. 746-757)
4th. Oxford University Press
Pablo, S Cien anos de cine en el Pais Vasco 1986-1995
Diputacion Foral de Alava
Sanchez Vidal El cine de Carlos Saura
Caja de Ahorros de la Inmaculada, Zaragoza
Smith, P J : The Cinema of Pedro Almodovar
2nd. Verso, London
Stone, R (2001) Spanish Cinema
Uribe, I Dias contadas
Alma Plot, Madrid
Vernon, K; Morris, B (eds) (1995) Post-Franco, Postmodern: The Films of Pedro Almodovar
Hopewell, J (1986) Out of the Past: Spanish Cinema after Franco
British Film Institute, London
Jordan, B; Morgan-Tamosunas, R. (1998) Contemporary Spanish Cinema
Manchester University Press
Jordan, B; Morgan-Tamosunas, R. (eds) (2000) Contemporary Spanish Cultural Studies
This module is at CQFW Level 7