|| SS15020 |
|| APPLIED AND THEMATIC STUDIES ONE |
|| 2003/2004 |
|| Dr Mark Burnley |
|| Semester 2 (Taught over 2 semesters) |
|| Dr Cecilie Thogersen, Professor Jonathan H Doust |
| Course delivery
|| Lecture || 12 Hours |
|| Seminars / Tutorials || 8 Hours 7x50 minute seminars; 2 x 15 minute tutorials
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment|| Essay ||33%|
|Semester Assessment|| Oral Presentation ||33%|
|Semester Assessment|| Extended file of material applied to a topic of personal choice and interest||33%|
On completion of this module, students should be able to
1. Demonstrate knowledge of multi and inter-disciplinary approaches
2. Produce an extended applied analysis of a self-chosen setting utilizing all three primary sub-disciplines.
3. Be able to present and discuss applied sport and exercise science, as an individual and in a group
4. Gain one vocationally relevant qualification.
The primary purpose of applied and thematic studies is to allow the integration and application of students' developing knowledge of sport and exercise science. A feature is to allow students to take a theme in which they have a genuine personal interest and to develop this through levels one, two and three. Applied and thematic studies also provides an opportunity for students to gain a vocational qualification and for career planning and enhancement.
1. To introduce students to the three primary sub disciplines of sport and exercise science i.e. biomechanics, physiology and psychology
2. Explain the nature of inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary approaches to the study of sport and exercise science
3. Develop skills in oral discussion and presentation
4. Provide knowledge of subsidiary and contextual topics such as policitics, sociology etc.
5. Provide a foundation for the application of sport and exercise science to a self-chosen theme
6. Provide opportunities for vocationally relevant study
7. Develop independent, self-directed and co-operative approaches to study.
This module is at CQFW Level 4