|| EAM3160 |
|| RESEARCH DISSERTATION IN RIVER BASIN DYNAMICS AND MANAGEMENT |
|| 2004/2005 |
|| Dr Paul A Brewer |
|| Semester 3 (Summer) |
|| Successful completion of core and optional semester 1 and 2 Masters level modules |
| Course delivery
|| Other || No formal contact time but students will be assigned a supervisor to provide guidance and advice during the course of the research and the writing of the dissertation. |
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment|| Produce a 15,000-20,000 word research thesis.||80%|
|Semester Assessment|| Present a research seminar.||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment|| Students will be required to resubmit the research thesis. Oral presentation mark will carried forward.||100%|
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Independently formulate research design and hypotheses.
2. Demonstrate their knowledge of the theoretical principles of scientific research.
3. Place research in appropriate wider contexts.
4. Undertake independent fieldwork
5. Undertake appropriate laboratory analyses of collected samples.
6. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of professional quality thesis.
7. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of an oral presentation.
8. Work to a tight schedule.
The research project is an independent study on a chosen research question in River Basin Dynamics and Management. Students will have the possibility to specialise in the use of specific technique(s) in order to solve particular research questions. Students will be expected to identify a specific research problem and identify aims and objectives, devise a research strategy and collect appropriate field and or laboratory data, present and interpret the dataset and discuss its relevance and implications in the context of published material.
Devise research enquiry.
Complete necessary background reading.
Complete necessary field and laboratory work.
Complete written thesis.
Prepare and deliver research presentation.
This module is at CQFW Level 7