|| EAM3360 |
|| RESEARCH DISSERTATION IN GLACIOLOGY |
|| 2004/2005 |
|| Professor Michael J Hambrey |
|| Semester 3 (Summer) (Taught over 2 semesters) |
|| Dr Bryn P Hubbard, Dr Neil F Glasser, Dr Poul Christoffersen, Dr Richard L H Essery |
|| Successful completion of core and optional semester 1 and 2 Master?s level modules |
| Course delivery
|| Other || No formal contact time but students will be assigned a supervisor to provide guidance and advice during the course of the research and the writing of the dissertation. |
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment|| Produce a 15,000 / 20,000 word research dissertation.||80%|
|Semester Assessment|| Present a research seminar.||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment|| Students will be required to resubmit the dissertation. Presentation mark carried forward.|| |
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Independently formulate research design and hypotheses.
2. Demonstrate their knowledge of the theoretical principles of scientific research.
3. Place research in appropriate wider contexts.
4. Search relevant literature and databases.
5. Undertake independent fieldwork
6. Undertake appropriate laboratory analyses.
7. Demonstrate proficiency in field and laboratory techniques.
8. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of a professionally produced dissertation.
9. Present the results and conclusions of their research in a coherent manner in the form of an oral presentation.
10. Work to a tight schedule.
The research project is an independent study on a chosen research question in Glaciology. Students will have the possibility to specialise in the use of specific technique(s) in order to solve particular research questions. Students will be expected to define a research problem and to use appropriate methodologies to solve the problem.
Define research problem.
Complete necessary background reading.
Complete necessary field and laboratory work.
Make thorough analyses and derive concise conclusions.
Complete written thesis.
Prepare and deliver research presentation.
This module is at CQFW Level 7