|| MMM3210 |
|| MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS |
|| 2004/2005 |
|| Suzanne Cole |
|| Semester 2 |
| Course delivery
|| Lecture || 20 Hours |
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||1.5 Hours ||60%|
|Semester Assessment|| One 2,000 word project||40%|
|Supplementary Exam|| Resit exam and/or resubmission of project||100%|
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Define the key terms in marketing communications
2. Appraise the impact of contexts on marketing communications
3. Evaluate the power of branding
4. Apply the campaign planning process
5. Explain the merits of the marketing communications tools
6. Appraise the importance of agencies
7. Evaluate the performance of the marketing communications plan
The module will focus on marketing communications from a strategic perspective by using the development of the brand as the focal point. It will begin with the ability to brand across business and organisational contexts from a product to a person or a sport. The ability to build a brand and establish brand values is the key steps to ensuring that the brand is established. From here the implementation of the brand using the marketing communications process to implement and build brand equity. In addition the performance of the brand will be examined to establish the ability to stretch the brand over time and to extend its lifecycle given the global environment in which organisations operate. This will encompass the marketing communications tools and illustrate the importance of botht he strategic and tactical aspects of brand building.
1. Branding perspectives.
2. Building the brand, the key steps.
3. Brand positioning and values.
4. Using the marketing tools to build the brand.
5. Integration of the marketing communications tools and planning process.
6. Measuring success.
7. The future, brand extensions.
8. Implementation across contexts.
Marketing journals as appropriate
** Recommended Text
Keller, K L Building, Measuring and Managing Brand Equality
** Supplementary Text
De Pelsmacker, P, Geunens M and Van der Bergh J Marketing Communications
Anholt, S The Nation as a Brand
Semenik, R J Promotion and Integrated Marketing Communication
Clew, K E and Baack, D Integrated Advertising, Promotion and Marketing Communications
De Chernatony L and McDonald, M H B Creating Powerful Brands
This module is at CQFW Level 7