|Module Title||EQUINE REPRODUCTIVE PHYSIOLOGY AND TECHNOLOGY|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Mina C G Davies-Morel|
|Semester||Semester 2 (Taught over 2 semesters)|
|Course delivery||Lecture||22 Hours|
|Seminars / Tutorials||10 Hours 10 x 1 hour|
|Practical||9 Hours 3 x 3 hours|
1) Describe the key gross and microscopic components of the equine reproductive systems.
2) Demonstrate a detailed and comparative knowledge of the control of equine reproduction.
3) Demonstrate a detailed and comparative knowledge of the physiology of pregnancy, parturition and lactation in the mare.
4) Evaluate in detail the principles, merits and limitations of various equine stud management systems.
5) Evaluate in detail the principles, merits and limitations of various forms of reproductive technology in use in equine stud
6) Critically analyse and evaluate historical, current and future research in equine reproduction and stud management
7) Identify and evaluate the procedures for assessing reproductive competence and fertility in both the mare and stallion
.2 IT and information handling
Retrieval of information for all aspects of the module, but in particular the seminar presentation, will include the use of Web of Science and appropriate web sites. This will develop IT and information handling skills, which will be assessed.
.4 Writing in an academic context
These skills will be developed and assessed via :
i) the production of an overview or report of their seminar presentation with a list of key references
ii) written examination
.5 Oral discussion and presentation
The seminar presentation will develop and assess oral skills and allow for group discussion of issues raised.
.6 Careers need awareness
Knowledge and skills developed within this module will be directly applicable to a future career in equine stud management or related research and teaching.
The use of initiative, self management and self discipline will be developed through the requirement to prepare for and present seminars.
.8 Group activity
Group activity will be an integral part of anatomy practicals, and as such will be developed.
This module is at CQFW Level 7