|| LAM3820 |
|| COMPETITION LAW |
|| 2006/2007 |
|| Dr Jonathan M C Fitchen |
|| Intended for use in future years |
|Next year offered
|| N/A |
|Next semester offered
|| N/A |
| Course delivery
|| Seminars / Tutorials || 2 Hours. 11 x 2 hour seminars |
|Assessment Type||Assessment Length/Details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment|| Two essays of 2,500 - 3,000 words(40% each) or One essay of 5,000 - 6,000 words
|Semester Assessment|| Oral Presentation||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment|| Resubmit coursework|| |
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate detailed knowledge of the characteristics of the European Community'r competition law regime.
2. Demonstrate detailed knowledge of the characteristics of the United Kingdom'r competition law regime.
3. Explain and critically comment upon the theoretical and practical operation of these systems of competition law.
4. Evaluate the role of competition law in the regulation of the conduct of international commercial business activities.
This module will begin by introducing the theoretical aspects of Competition Law such as the concepts of `market? and `perfect? / `imperfect? competition and then proceed to the regulatory systems by which law has been used in an attempt to control commercial activity. Subsequently, the course will focus upon the operation of the competition law system of the EU, with due consideration of its particular introduction into UK law. Issues of enforcement will be considered, as will the internationalization of the legal regulation of competition arising in the course of commercial activities.
1. Introduction to the conceptual and theoretical aspects of Competition Law.
2. A historical comparison of the different regulatory models employed by the USA, the EC and selected national systems.
3. Article 81 (1) and (2) EC ? The European anti-cartel provision.
4. Exempting cartel activity ? Article 81 (3) EC
5. Article 82 EC ? The European regulation of abusive conduct.
6. The problems of oligopoly ? Articles 81 and 82 EC re-examined.
7. The competition law of the UK.
8. Enforcement of the EC law.
9. Enforcement of UK law.
10. Competition law as an international phenomenon.
This module is at CQFW Level 7