|Module Title||PRACTICAL PEDOLOGY: SOIL CHEMICAL METHODS|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Peter W Abrahams|
|Co-Requisite||GG32910 or GG32110|
|Mutually Exclusive||Because of the course nature, student intake is restricted to 40.|
|Course delivery||Practical||Practicals / Field Days. 10 x 3 hour practicals including fieldwork in mid-Wales.|
1. Laboratory techniques: tools of the trade. Soil N and its determination.
2. Local soil sampling and preliminary preparation and analysis
3. Soil pH and gravimetric determination of soil organic matter
4. Walkley-Black technique for soil organic carbon
5. Analysis of macro-nutrients (Na and K) by flame photometry
6. Analysis of macro-nutrients (Mg and Ca) by atomic absorption spectrophotometry
7. Analysis of macro-nutrients (P) by colorimetry
8. Analysis of trace-elements (e.g. Pb and Zn); analytical quality control
It is assumed (incorrectly) that no student has had any previous experience in laboratory work and the chemical principles involved will be given only a minimal treatment, sufficient to carry out the work and to calculate the results. All students are reminded that the departmental safety regulations MUST be obeyed: adherence to rules, bench tidiness and orderly behaviour are absolute prerequisites for personal safety. For the purposes of safety, ALL students MUST provide themselves with a laboratory coat.
This module is at CQFW Level 5