|Module Title||INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY LAW|
|Co-ordinator||Professor John R Williams|
|Pre-Requisite||LPM0140 , LPM0505 , LPM0325 , LPM0215|
|Professional Exemptions||Law Society validated study scheme|
This module enables students to advise and assist clients in the field of Intellectual Property Law. The module focus will be on Intellectual Property law issues and will give students an appreciation of how intellectual property assets can be used to add value to a business and in particular the small/medium enterprise (SME) clients. The module will be delivered in an interactive manner.
2. Names, Brands, Logos & Other Potential Trade Marks
Registrations of company names; Registrations of domain names; Registrations of Trade Marks (National & International); Passing Off; Brand equity & the SME within the e-Commerce era. Making a UK Trade Mark Application (IP Wales ® Trade Mark Awareness Project), Completion of a time sheet and preparation of a bill, including disbursements and VAT.
3. Preventing Copying & Other Misappropriations
Copyright (National & International); Moral Rights; Database Rights; Copyright and the Creative Industries; Copyright in the IT field.
4. Protecting Ideas & Know-How/Trade Secrets
Appropriate forms of protection and limitations thereof; Confidentiality and the use of Non-Disclosure Agreements; Patents (National & International); Covenants in Restraint of trade.
5. Protecting Product Appearance
Registered Designs; Unregistered Designs; Industrial Design in the Automotive Industry.
6. Infringement Actions, Assignments & Licenses
Infringement Actions: IP insurance, Pre-action steps and procedures including cost benefit analysis; Preparation of appropriate letters before action; Negotiating settlements; Advising on appropriate remedies; Preparing for litigation.
7. Assignments: Due diligence; Examination of typical clauses with emphasis on evaluating the suitability of the given clause to the particular needs of the client.
8. Licenses: Due diligence; Licensing-in & licensing-out; Examination of typical clauses with emphasis on evaluating the suitability of the given clause to the particular needs of the client.
This module is at CQFW Level 7