|Module Title||RURAL TOURISM MANAGEMENT|
|Co-ordinator||Dr Brian J Garrod|
|Other staff||Miss Hege Rossa|
|Course delivery||Lecture||2 x 1 hour lectures per week|
|Practical||2 x 3 hour practicals per semester|
1. Define and differentiate between the concepts of rural tourism and sustainable tourism
2. Evaluate how the changes in demand for rural tourism have influenced the development of facilities
3. Assess how the public, private and voluntary sectors interact with the rural tourism industry
4. Evaluate rural tourism developments in the UK
5. Apply the concept of sustainability to rural tourism management
6. Evaluate the success and applicability of strategies for the management of rural tourism resources
It aims to enable students to:
a. develop their understanding of the concept of rural tourism
b. analyse the attraction of rural areas as tourism destinations
c. evaluate tourism facilities and activities that take place in the rural environment
d. analyse the management of resources for rural tourism
e. discuss the concept of sustainable tourism in rural areas
.2 IT and information handling
Students will access the Internet when gathering information for their written assignment. The report on rural tourism in the UK will be word processed and will include graphical data on the scope and scale of UK tourism.
4 Writing in an academic context
Students will be expected to carry out a wide-ranging literature review on the concepts of rural and sustainable tourism for both parts of their assessment. The outcomes of this process will be incorporated into their written assignment and answers to examination questions.
In completing the necessary research for their assessments, students will be expected to manage their own time and plan the effective use of learning resources.
This module is at CQFW Level 5