The Accounts Payable team is responsible for the payment of suppliers, staff expenses, students, international payments. The office is also the first point of contact for queries regarding purchasing card transactions. If the invoice/ expenses have been correctly authorised, the Accounts Payable team aim to pay within 30 days of the invoice date.
All payments are made on a Wednesday which will be paid in your bank (if direct payment) on the Friday of the same week and are detailed as follows:
- BACS - remittance advice sent to all to confirm payment sent via 2nd class mail.
- Cheque - sent by 2nd class mail every Wednesday afternoon.
- Staff Expenses - paid every Wednesday by BACS.
- Students & Misc. Payments - paid every Wednesday by BACS or Cheque.
- Foreign Payments - processed weekly on an on-line banking system
Fees & Cash Office
The Fees Office consists of a team dedicated to the collection of student fees and charges, including payment of accommodation fees, tuition fees, distance learning fees; and also all sales invoice raised by the University including sport centre fees and any other invoice raised for payment by an external customer or a member of staff. We have developed payment plan options designed to make the fee payment process as simple and flexible as possible and are available to offer guidance as you choose the method best suited to your personal requirements.
We are aware that students can at times experience financial difficulties and we would strongly recommend that they contact the Fees Office to discuss their concerns as soon as possible. Early contact often results in a solution being found to the satisfaction of all parties and we can signpost you to support services such as Student Support.
The Cash Office aims to provide an efficient and professional cash collection service for all areas of University activities.
Summary of Activities:
- Banking of all cash and cheque income including foreign currency/cheques.
- Issuing of receipts for payments received.
- Processing payments by credit card for tuition/residence/conference fees.
- Identifying and allocating to correct departments receipts/payments received on bank statements
You should contact Financial Systems if you have any problems with AGRESSO or ABW such as changes to project code, set up new work order, changing the authorisation line for orders/ invoices.
The role of the Procurement Office is to promote efficient and effective procurement as part of the acquisition of any goods, services and works. We advise the University on all procurement requirements and propose policies and strategies for their delivery. We work with all departments to ensure that value for money is maximised, by disseminating best practice, advising on appropriate management of risk and ensuring compliance with statutory requirements.
Accounting & Reporting
Role of the Accounting & Reporting Function
Ensure that management at all levels receive reliable and timely financial information and advice that allows them to make valued judgement about how best to use the resources available to them.
Statutory external financial returns are completed in a timely and correct manner.
- Support departments through the budget setting and financial forecasting process.
- Prepare management accounts and supporting departments to monitor financial performance.
- Produce the University’s Financial Statements, TRAC return and HESA return.
- Prepare the Resource Allocation at the University Level.Developing standard costing methodologies and supporting departments with minor proposals.
(Note that RBI supports departments with costing research projects)