The Information Commissioner, who is based at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF, is required under the provisions of the Act to keep a register of data controllers. The data controller’s register entry is compiled by the Commissioner from the information given in the application form which is filled out by the data controller. The entry contains the data controller’s name and address together with broad descriptions of:
- the personal data which the data controller holds;
- the purpose for which the data are used;
- the ways in which the data are processed;
- the sources from which the data controller intends to obtain the information;
- the people to whom the data controller may wish to disclose the information.
The Commissioner ensures that the Data Protection Principles are observed and can serve an Enforcement Notice directing the University to take specific steps to comply where it is considered that there has been a breach of principle. Information Notices can also be served where the Commissioner believes that a controller has information that would reveal a breach of the principles. The Commissioner’s Office is a prosecuting authority in its own right, investigating cases and bringing them to court.
Dr Jonathan Davies, Data Protection & Copyright Manager, Information Services, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 628592 Fax: 01970 622404 Email: email@example.com