What is Records Management?
- “A field of management responsible for the efficient and systematic control of the creation, maintenance, use and disposition of records”.
- Records Management aims to ensure that all recorded information is created, maintained, controlled and disposed of in a way that facilitates its most efficient and effective use.
What does records management mean for the university?
The university along with other institutions throughout the UK now has to work towards complying with the Freedom of Information Act under which there is a minimum record keeping requirement. The university also believes that it will gain a number of organisational benefits from implementing a records management programme. These should include:
- More efficient and effective use of physical and server space
- More efficient and effective use of staff time
- Improved control of valuable information resources
- Compliance with legislation and standards
What is the university doing about records management?
- The university has appointed a records manager.
- The Records Manager is currently conducting an information audit of ALL university departments.
- A Records Management policy and strategy will be drawn up and implemented for the university going forward.
- Specific guidance and procedures will be provided on specific topics such as records retention.
How can Records Management help me?
The University’s Records Manager is available to provide advice to all University administrative and academic departments. The aim is to ensure that all recorded information is created, maintained, controlled and disposed of in a way that facilitates it’s most efficient and effective use. The Records Manager may be able to help you in one or all of the following ways:
- Advice on all aspects of records-keeping
- Confidential destruction of ('dead') records when they come to the end of their working life
- Early identification and transfer of archival material to the archive for permanent preservation.
Julie Archer, Records Manager, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 628593 Fax: 01970 622404 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org