Information Services (IS) provide library, computing and media services for Aberystwyth University. All use is subject to Information Services Regulations and Guidelines.
We welcome visitors to the Universities libraries.
As study space is limited, during busy periods, access to the libraries may be restricted to Aberystwyth University students and staff except by prior arrangement. Visitors to the library should contact us in advance to arrange access during any periods when the library is accessible via Aber Card only. See individual libraries for details:
Visitors under-16s must be supervised by a parent, guardian or school teacher.
Visits from individuals
We provide the following access to facilities:
- All visitors may consult books and periodicals within each of the University’s libraries.
- Some visitors may be eligible to apply for Associate Readership which gives borrowing privileges.
- Visitors from other institutions may be able to borrow from the library collections through the SCONUL borrowing scheme
- Visitors from Bangor University can borrow from the Library's collections under the Aberystwyth and Bangor University reciprocal library borrowing scheme
- Visitors to the Library who are not eligible for any of the above schemes may register for reference use only. Reference use only tickets are issued for up to one year and entitle the holder to use any material held in the library and to make photocopies (subject to copyright regulations). Please ask at the enquiry desk.
- Some of the University's electronic resource subscriptions do allow access to members of the public for use within the library.
- A Walk in Access to Electronic Resources Terminal is available in both the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry Library to facilitate this. Please ask at the enquiry desk.
- Visitors from participating organisations can connect their laptop/mobile device to the eduroam wireless network using the Janet Roaming Service.
- Visitors who are unable to use eduroam can connect their laptop/mobile device to The Cloud.
Photocopying, printing and scanning
- A Visitor's card is available for use on the public printers/copiers in each of the University Libraries.
- A fee will be charged when the card is borrowed and any credit not used will be refunded on it's return.
- This card enables you to:
- photocopy (subject to copyright regulations)
- print from USB
- scan to USB (no charge)
- Please ask at the enquiry desk.
Visits from School groups
- We can arrange school visits to our libraries for study purposes.
- To ensure the best experience we ask that you make arrangements well in advance of your visit and schedule your visit during University vacations.
- Groups must be accompanied by leaders or teachers who must consult Aberystwyth University’s Safeguarding of Vulnerable Persons Policy and be prepared to show evidence of their organisation’s safeguarding policy before arrival.
- School groups will have access to the same facilities as individual visitors (above) but please note our visitor wireless network and visitor computer is for visitors over the age of 18 only (proof of age is required)
- Please also see Aberystwyth University’s Conference Office information on School & Educational Visits
- Please contact email@example.com to arrange your visit
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org