|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||3 Hours. 3 x 1 hour seminars.|
|Lecture||16 Hours. 2 x 1 hour lectures per week.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||1.5 Hours Exam||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||1.5 Hours Exam||100%|
Upon the successful completion of this module, students will (a) have a working understanding of the principal features of the English legal system, (b) an understanding of the main features of the English law of contract, (c) be able to recognise the need to obtain appropriate legal advice at various stages in the course of the contract, and (d) have a broad appreciation of the role of contracts in the conduct of commercial activity.
Law for Business affords non-law students the opportunity to study legal topics, the significance of which play an important part in the business world. Business Law 1 is designed for the business student and assumes no previous study of the law. The course is designed to meet the needs of students who wish to obtain an appreciation of and insights into the law relating to business relationships. This course predominately concentrates its attention on the effectiveness and the operation of principles of contract law, principles which are essential to business transactions. It also covers essential knowledge and skills in understanding the legal system and the basics of negligence in tort law in a business context. The course approaches the study and understanding of the law at a level which is appropriate for non-law students. Time is given in the lectures to explain the fundamental characteristics and workings of the English legal system. Completion of the course will enable students to attain a fundamental understanding of the rules which operate to regulate business transactions.
The aims of this module are first to introduce students of business and related studies to the main features of the legal environment within which commercial activity takes place, and secondly (and more specifically) to undertake a detailed examination of the law of contract as the basis for business dealings.
1. Legal System
- Essential Knowledge and Skills
- The general principles upon which the law is based.
- The sources and historical development of the law.
- The court structure in which the law is administered.
- The basic concepts of negligence in a business context.
- The Essential Requirements of a Valid Contract 1: Introduction and Overview; the Requirements for a Contract
- The Essential Requirements of a Valid Contract 2: Offer and Acceptance
- Offer and Acceptance - continued
- The Essential Requirements of a Valid Contract 3: Consideration
- Consideration - continued
- The Essential Requirements of a Valid Contract 4: Intention to Create Legal Relations
- Discharge 1:
- Discharge 2:
- Remedies 1:
- Remedies 2:
- Mistakes l.
- Mistakes 2
Reading ListEssential Reading
Riches and Allen (2009) Keenan and Riches' Business Law 9th ed. Pearson/Longman Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 6