|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||11 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours written examination||80%|
|Semester Assessment||EXAMPLE SHEET||20%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours written examination||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Describe the structure of the atom and electron energy levels.
* Describe types of bonds between atoms and molecules, and their relative strengths.
* Describe the structures and properties of solids - amorphous and crystalline.
* Describe the thermal properties of solids, liquids and gases.
* Calculate the effects of stresses on solids.
* Describe the concept of an ideal gas, apply the gas laws and equation of state.
* Explain the effects of heat and work on matter using the First Law of Thermodynamics.
* Perform calculations related to the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Matter consists of atoms and molecules in solid, liquid or gas phase. The structure and size of atoms - protons, neutrons and electrons are first discussed. Quantisation of energy and ionisation potential. Molecular strcutre is discussed with emphasis on the types of bonding between atoms and molecules. The influences of temperature on the properties of matter is then considered. The behaviour of solids undergoing stress and strain. A simple model of an ideal gas as a collection of hard spheres is shown to lead to an understanding of transport properties of gases and deviations from idela behaviour. Properties of gases are examined from the point of view of the First Law of Thermodynamics.
Atomic structure - Protons, neutrons, electrons, isotopes and radioactive decay.
Avogadro's constant and the mole.
Emission spectra and electron energy levels within atoms.
Ionic, covalent, metallic bonding.
Interatomic and intermolecular forces.
Structure of solids and associated physical properties.
Specific heat capacity and latent heat, thermal conductivity.
Solids - stress and strain, elasticity, Young'r modulus.
Ideal gases - gas laws, equation of state.
Isochoric, isothermal, isobaric processes.
Thermal properties of matter - heat, work, internal energy.
First law of thermodynamics.
This module is at CQFW Level 4