- Dr Hong Wei (Associate Professor - University of Reading)
- Dr John Hunt (Chief Operating Officer - Mallon Associates International)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||11 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Interim group presentation||10%|
|Semester Assessment||Final group presentation||25%|
|Semester Assessment||Group final report (5000 words)||25%|
|Semester Assessment||Individual development diary||20%|
|Semester Assessment||Final individual report (1500 words)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Final individual report (1500 words) The final individual report may be resubmitted.||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||There is NO external or supplementary resit available for the group assessments or the diary.||80%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Use the combined skills learnt throughout the BIT Degree to produce a plan for a suitable business venture.
2. Identify and design the necessary IT support for this business.
3. Articulate the issues surrounding establishing a business.
4. Apply Legal, Social, Ethical and Professional issues to working together in a business/industrial environment.
5. Assess their own performance as well as those around them in the overall success or failure of a project.
Each group will act as an IT Department for a company. The group will be asked to develop a proposal for how an IT system would be used to support a new business idea; the group might suggest its own idea or use one provided for the project. Members of each group will assume different roles such as manager, analyst, test planner.
The group will be expected to anlayse the problem and develop a proposal on how IT can be used to support the business idea. This is likely to involve a small amount of prototyping, but the group will not be required to develop a system.
All the sessions will encourage students to think about existing or new business ventures and the kind of IT support they need.
For some groups of students it will provide support and infrastructure to bring their ideas to a state where they could become marketable; for others it will involve analysing a current business and producing an IT plan. In all cases it is expected that the groups will optimise the use of electonic media to disseminate information, advice and best practice.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Inherent to subject.|
|Communication||Reports and presentation.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Inherent to subject.|
|Information Technology||Inherent to subject.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Individual diary.|
|Problem solving||Inherent to subject.|
|Research skills||Selection of project and developing materials.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Development of IT competence.|
|Team work||Group work.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6