- Professor Dafydd Johnston (Yr Athro - Canolfan Uwchefrydiau Cymreig a Cheltaidd, Prifysgol Cymru)
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Assessed Essay (3000-3500 words)||40%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours Arholiad / Exam||60%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
will have a good knowledge of the major studies in the field of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi.
will be able to read Middle Welsh with ease, with the aid of a glossary of the more unusual vocabulary items
will be able to evaluate all the characters of the texts and their specific traits.
will know the details of the content of all Four Branches and be able to draw several conclusions as to the nature of the author and the society they were composed for.
In depth study of one of the braches, following on from WEM1620 and of the Four Branches as a collection of narratives.
2. Study of gender issues in the texts.
3. Discussion of society portrayed in the texts and evaluation of social, legal and moral issues found therein.
4. Further study of more complex grammatical and syntactical forms as found in the texts.
5. Continuation of a close reading of one branch in particular, already started in WEM1620.
6. Narrative techniques, characterisation.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number|
|Communication||textual discussion; discussion of scholarly material.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||through engagement with lecturer and with others in seminars; through feedback and discussion with lecturer|
|Information Technology||use of catalogues and assessment of web material.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||personal advice on career goals offered on a one-to-one basis: not assessed|
|Problem solving||reading texts and interpreting them|
|Research skills||assessing scholarship in the field; using libraries for printed and mauscript materials;|
|Subject Specific Skills||Middle Welsh language.|
|Team work||some work to be tackled jointly: no formal assessment but textual classes necessitate teamwork.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7