- Dr Hong Wei (Associate Professor - University of Reading)
- Dr Neal A Harman (Associate Professor - Swansea University)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||20 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Practical||11 x 1 Hour Practicals|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Practical programming assignment 1||40%|
|Semester Assessment||Practical programming assignment 2||60%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmission of failed/non-submitted coursework components or ones of equivalent value||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
Write code to perform common tasks relevant to the study schemes of the students
Query/modify a data file or a database
Make use of data in XML format
Retrieve information from popular APIs relevant to the study schemes of the students.
This module aims to equip the students with programming skills for information retrieval, data manipulation, data/model/knowledge storing and sharing, and high performance computing. It will emphasise use of the scripting language Python to carry out tasks in and amanage data using conventional files and databasae, as well as specialist tools relevant to the MSc for which the students are studying.
This module will, using the Python programming language, teach the basics of programming and how to manipulate and organise data relevant to the study schemes of the students taking the module.
2. Reading and writing files. Examples of a variety of file formats relevant to the study schemes of the students. Example programming tasks collecting basic information from these files, reformatting files. General familiarity and experience using Python.
3. Databases: Examining database structure (tables, keys, relations). Interfacing to databases using SQL and Python. Basic design of databases.
4. XML: structure, parsing, correctness and schema. SBML and other examples.
5. Using (remote) APIs to query (online) resources.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Inherent to science schemes|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Inherent in the module.|
|Information Technology||Programming, data management|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Gives students practical skills for a career in this field|
|Problem solving||Identifying and using programming techniques to solve problems relevant to topics of their study scheme.|
|Research skills||Problem analysis, data resource discovery, experimental design, data analysis|
|Subject Specific Skills|
This module is at CQFW Level 7