BSc (Southampton) PhD (Aberystwyth)
Senior Experimental Officer
Room Number..........:  2.09
Building....................:  Physical Sciences
Phone.......................:   +44 (0)1970 621913
Home Page...............:   Personal
Dr. Langstaff gained his first degree in electronic engineering at Southampton University, with a final year project developing an automated test system for characterisation of semiconductor devices produced in the Microelectronics Group. He went on to work in the Microelectronics Group at Southampton, working for the Wolfson Industrial Unit and the SERC funded Design Centre at Southampton there as well as a work with CAD data preparation for Electron Beam Lithography.
He moved to Aberystwyth in 1990 on a LINK funded project to design an Integrated Circuit to implement a Charge Detector Array for applications in Mass Spectroscopy. Following the successful conclusion of the project he joined a project to further develop the detector array concept for applications in Electron Spectroscopy. He was appointed as Senior Experimental Officer to CAFMaD in 2006. His main research interest is the layout of Silicon Integrated Circuits for detectors, taking particular interest in the efficient mapping of function and form. As well as his other duties, Dr. Langstaff is departmental Safety Officer for DMAPS.
- My Areas of Interest are:
- Instrumentation for synchrotron experimentation
- Development of integrated charge sensing, pixellated imaging device for electron spectroscopy
- Use of image processing to analyse data from high speed camera pictures of levitating liquid samples
- Development of Instrument control software in Labview
- FG15510: Ffiseg Labordy
- FG15700: Cyflwyniad i Ffiseg Arbrofol a Chyfrifiadurol
- FG15720: Cyflwyniad i Ffiseg Arbrofol a Chyfrifiadurol
- FG25520: Ffiseg Arbrofol
- FG35410: Ffiseg Arbrofol (10 Credyd)
- FG37500: Prosiect (40 Credyd)
- FG37540: Prosiect (40 Credyd)
- FGM5800: Prif Brosiect
- FGM5860: Prif Brosiect
- PH15510: Laboratory Physics
- PH15700: Introduction to Computational and Experimental Physics
- PH15720: Introduction to Computational and Experimental Physics
- PH24010: Data Handling and Statistics
- PH24520: Sensors, Electronics & Instrumentation
- PH25520: Experimental Physics
- PH33610: Semiconductor Technology
- PH33710: Science of Semiconductor Applications
- PH35410: Experimental Physics (10 Credits)
- PH35620: Project (20 Credits)
- PH37500: Project (40 Credits)
- PH37540: Project (40 Credits)
- PHM5800: Major Project
- PHM5860: Major Project
- PHM5920: Minor Project
- PHM7020: Advanced Research Topics
Developing a Hyperspectral CLose UP Imager With UV Excitation (HyperCLUPI) for Mars Exploration. Cadair2014.
Composition and polyamorphism in supercooled yttria-alumina melts. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids 357 (2) 6th International Discussion Meeting on Relaxation in Complex Systems. pp. 435-441. 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.06.072 Other Cadair2011.
A method of extending the capabilities of multispectral interference-filter cameras for planetary exploration and similar applications. Proceedings of University of Strathclyde's Second Annual Academic Hyperspectral Imaging Conference. Other Cadair2011.
Real-time monitoring of the evolving morphology and molecular structure at an organic-inorganic semiconductor interface: SnPc on GaAs(001). Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 28 (4) C5F5 10.1116/1.3464769 Cadair2010.
High-temperature electronic structure of the diamond (111) surface. Diamond Conference Abstracts 2010. Cadair2010.
Reduction of multiple triggering in counting detectors. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 604 (1-2) pp. 400-403. 10.1016/j.nima.2009.01.185 Cadair2009.
Progress on the Aberystwyth electron counting array. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 604 (1-2) pp. 133-135. 10.1016/j.nima.2009.01.040 Cadair2009.
A multichannel detector array with 768 pixels developed for electron spectroscopy. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment pp. 169-171. 10.1016/j.nima.2006.11.027 Cadair2007.
A fully integrated multi-channel detector for electron spectroscopy. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms 238 (1-4) pp. 219-223. 10.1016/j.nimb.2005.06.187 Cadair2005.