Who requires RDM?
The management of research data is a core aim of many of Aberystwyth University's top research funders (Data requirements from funders), including those councils of the Research Councils UK (RCUK). The RCUK Common Principles on Data Policy state that:
"Publicly funded research data are a public good, produced in the public interest, which should be made openly available with as few restrictions as possible in a timely and responsible manner that does not harm intellectual property"
The individual RCUK councils have their own individual RDM policies, as detailed below:
- AHRC - follows the RCUK Common Principles (link above). The Council's data policy is detailed in the Research Funding Guide. See in particular sections on the Technical Plan and 'deposit of resources or datasets'.
- BBSRC - Data Sharing Policy
- EPSRC - EPSRC's Policy Framework on data management. EPSRC Expectations Review for Aberystwyth University
- ESRC - ESRC's Research Data Policy, this page also includes a useful guide to reviewers.
- MRC - Data Sharing Policy
- NERC - Data policy
- STFC - STFC's Scientific Data Policy
Other research funders who also have stated policies include:
- Cancer Research UK - Policy on Data Sharing and Preservation
- Wellcome Trust - Policy on Data Management and Sharing
- European Commission "Horizon 2020" - Within the 2014-15 Work Programme, an "Open Research Data Pilot" is being implemented for particular areas. Guidelines on Data Management in Horizon 2020 have been provided for applicants.
Aberystwyth University Policy
The Aberystwyth University Research Data Management Policy was ratified by the Research Committee in February 2014 and is reviewed annually.