Terms and Conditions (Affiliated Institutions)
General Terms and Conditions of Sport Aber Membership
The following conditions are designed to ensure that all members maximise the benefits offered by Sports Centre Membership in a safe and congenial manner.
1. I understand that I need to bring my Aber Card or Sports Centre swipe card to be scanned on each visit to the Sports Centre.
2. I understand that Sports Centre Membership entitles me to free and discounted use of the 5 gyms, the classes on the FitTogether programme, the climbing wall and that charges for these may periodically be revised at the discretion of the management.
3. I understand that my membership fee is non-refundable under normal circumstances.
4. I agree not to lend my card to anyone else and that failure to comply may lead to membership being withdrawn
5. I agree to abide by the conditions of use stipulated for each sports facility and enforced by Sports Centre staff.
a. These conditions will either be presented to you or displayed prominently at the facility.
6. I agree to notify a Sports Centre member of staff if I have or develop a medical condition which may jeopardise the safety of others or myself whilst using the Sports Centre.
7. I understand that the management cannot take responsibility for the theft of loss of any personal effects left in the changing rooms.
8. I understand that whilst I am covered by University Public Liability insurance, I am responsible for securing personal liability insurance for any sporting injuries received whilst using Sports Centre facilities or courses.
9. I understand that as part of my membership, Sports Centre staff have access to restricted information contained on my swipe card e.g. date of birth, address etc. This information will only be used in line with the Data Protection Act guidelines.
10. The management of Sports Centre reserve the right to cancel any membership in breach of rules or conduct which in the view of the management of SC is offensive to customers and / or staff or represents a health and safety danger.
11. Individual memberships may be frozen for a period of 3 months on the production of a valid medical certificate. Other reasons may be considered at the discretion of the management of the SC.
12. Children must be supervised by their own parent or guardian. Children must not be left unattended.
13. I understand that as part of my membership, Sports Centre staff have access to restricted information contained on my swipe card e.g. date of birth, address etc. This information will only be used in line with the Data Protection Act guidelines.
Student Amendments – in addition to the above.
1. I understand that I need a Sporty Card to join any Aberystwyth University Sports Team.
2. I understand that Club Sporty (entitles me to free and discounted use of the facilities), course, teams and Aberystwyth University Sports Clubs and that charges to these may be periodically revised at the discretion of the management.
3. I understand that if I cancel a facility booking without due notification, I will be liable for an appropriate charge.
4. I understand that personal insurance is included in the price of the Sporty Card.
AU Staff Amendments – in addition to the above.
1. All AU Staff are to set up membership via Aber People. Full details of how to set this up is on our web page
2. Log onto Aber People via this web page - https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/staff/aber-people/
This document is a guide to how Aberystwyth University Sports Centre records, safeguards and uses information that we hold on customers when they join our membership scheme or any of our short courses. The Sports Centre is committed to the protection of our valued members and local community user’s privacy through compliance of the Data Protection Act and current best practice.
• How we collect information
o In order to join our membership scheme, use the gym or take part in any organised activity such as running group or swimming lesson etc, we request that you provide us with basic information that will help us identify you and allow us to help you get the best service from the Sports Centre.
o We collect this information either
In person from you, when you come to complete your application form or PAR-Q before your gym induction.
Via the web, when you buy an online purchase
Via Astra, which already holds information relating to staff and students
Via a transfer of information via Aber People when staff join Sports Centre Membership
• The information we collect
o We need to be able to identify our members and anyone who signs up for a short course, or wishes to use the gym
o This is basic information such as your full name, address and contact details
o It might also include more sensitive data such as any medical issues that might affect your workout or your bank details if you are setting up a direct debit with us.
o Sometimes we need information about your child as well as yourself – usually name and date of birth, so that we can look at our children’s class set up in swimming, climbing or our summer camps.
o We have a general “PAR-Q” information sheets which stands for “Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire” which gives us an indication of your current fitness levels and any medical or physical attributes that might require us to modify your exercise when you are here at the Sports Centre.
o Although we do ask for gender, this information is not used for reporting purposes.
• How we use the information
o We use your personal information to create a member profile that is unique to you.
o We use your name and date of birth to generate, or obtain your Personal Number on Astra for membership or on the Matrix system to record if you have done a gym induction, or when you join a swimming or climbing lesson or attend our children’s sports camps.
o Having a UID allows our systems to operate efficiently and ensures that you are charged at the correct amount.
o We use your email to circulate information regarding classes and membership changes here at the Sports Centre
o If you have requested a monthly payment, then as an external member, we will use the Banking information that you gave us to set up a 12 month Direct Debit
• Your choices
o You are able to request how we contact you, and ask to be removed from mailing lists
o By law, you are now able to ask for all personal data regarding you to be removed from our membership and gym systems. However, please be aware that this will invalidate your membership and you may have to complete a Gym Induction the next time you wish to use the Sports Centre.
o You are able to amend your membership end date by
Informing us in person – but you will have to cancel your DD at the bank
As a member of staff, by updating your AberPeople payment record
As a student, by letting us know if you are leaving the University
• Request for removal
o Your membership information updated at the end of your term unless you request to terminate early or set up another 12 month membership.
o We can remove all your records from the gym system, but you will then need to complete an induction if you wish to use the gym at a later date.
• How we protect your personal information
o Our membership information is held centrally on the University’s record system. This allow us to have a protected and robust database to ensure that your information is not shared externally
o We use credible payment methods for your credit card transactions at the till
o We have a resilient Direct Debit system that utilises the University’s financial systmes and we work closely with the Finance Department offices to ensure that all data in relation to your bank details follows correct protocols.
o We do not share your information to external parties
o We only use your information for membership purposes or when you sign up for a course or a gym induction.
o We do not sell or distribute our mailing lists
• Your consent
o When you sign up for membership or a short course, we ask you to provide information to enable us to process your application
o Full terms and conditions of these can be had in hard copy or seen online on our web pages
o You can email us on firstname.lastname@example.org to change your information or request for removal from our systems
• Right of access
o You have the right to request permission to see what data we hold on your account and how we use this information to process your application
o Our website only holds information regarding activities and facilities at the Sports Centre and does not have any direct external links.
• Social Media Platforms
o We frequently use Social Media Platforms to promote what is going on at the Sports Centre. We use photographs of our members in classes and other venues only with permission of that person.
o We sometimes have a professional photographer to come and take shots – permission will be asked for before the photoshoot and pre-warning will be given on Social Media sites
o Sometimes our teachers will ask to take a shot during or after the class.
o No photographs or videos are taken without informing the members first
o Any photographed used on our sites can be removed if the person wishes
o We have clear signage in the Sports Centre to prohibit photographs being taken by other users
o We have a general FB pages which provides information. External users are not able to post onto the main page, but can ask questions via messenger
o We have a specific FitTogether FB page, which is a closed group for our members and class tutors to share information and ask questions
o We have a Twitter page for information only - @AberSport
o We have an underused Instagram page – sportaber