Welsh Domiciled Students
Students from Wales can apply for loans and grants to cover tuition fees and living costs. Below will explain more about the loans, fee grants and maintenance loans available to Welsh Domiciled Students.
Tuition Fees – Loans and Grants
Here at Aberystwyth University, we charge up to £9,000 per year in tuition fees. For Welsh Domiciled Students, students can apply for two funding parts to cover the cost of the tuition fees.
- Tuition Fee Loan – up to £4,046 per year. This is a loan to cover the initial tuition fee cost. This loan has to be repaid after you finish your studies, but only when you earn a salary of more than £25,000 per year. Interest will be applied to your tuition fee loan from the first day the money is paid to the university until it has been repaid in full or written off. This loan is not based on your household income. You don’t have to take this tuition loan; you can choose to pay this sum yourself.
- Welsh Government Tuition Fee Grant – up to £4,954 per year. This Tuition Fee Grant will cover the remaining tuition fee balance, and if you’re eligible; you won’t have to pay this back. The Tuition Fee Grant will be paid directly to the university. This fee grant is not based on your household income.
Living Costs – Loans and Grants
While at university, you may also need help with your living costs. These costs are for things like food, books and rent. There are two main funding parts which can cover your living costs while at university.
- Maintenance Loan. Welsh Students can apply for a Maintenance Loan to help with living costs. What you receive will depend on your family household income, and where you’ll live during your time at university. You’ll be charged interest on your Maintenance Loan from the first day the money is paid to your university or college until it is repaid in full or written off. This loan has to be repaid after you finish your studies, but only when you earn a salary of more than £21,000 per year. You can find out more about the amounts available on the Student Finance Wales website.
- Welsh Government Learning Grant. The Welsh Government Learning Grant is also available to help with living costs. The maximum amount of Welsh Government Learning Grant is £5,161. If you’re entitled to the Welsh Government Learning Grant, the amount of income assessed Maintenance Loan (above) will be reduced. The Welsh Government Learning Grant is dependent on your household income, you’ll receive:
- The full amount if your household income is £18,370 or less
- A decreasing amount the higher your household income is, up to £50,020
- No grant if your household income is £50,021 or over
There is extra help and support available for Welsh Domiciled Students e.g. Childcare grants, Parents’ Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants' Grant and Disabled Students’ Allowances. Please go to the Student Finance Wales website to see what extra support may be available to you.