DGES Taster Days for pre-applicants
The Department of Geography and Earth Sciences invite you to their University Taster Day on Friday 15th September 2017.
We will explore the natural laboratory of Aberystwyth and its surroundings, and cover key A-Level themes, including:
1. Glacial processes and dynamics.
2. Risk, change and development in the urban landscape.
3. Catchment and coastal processes.
In the evening, there will be a buffet provided in the Arts Centre Bar, located on the University’s main Penglais Campus.
- Read the finer details and FAQs below.
- Register for our Open Day on September 16th 2017 > English / Cymraeg.
- Register for your Taster Day place here
The finer details
The Taster Day kicks off at 12.45. We’ll meet in room B20 in the Llandinam Building, located on the main University Penglais Campus. Lunch can be bought beforehand from one of the University’s food outlets on Penglais Campus, including the Arts Centre Café, TaMedDa Restaurant, and IBERBach café.
During the Taster Day we’ll visit locations in and around Aberystwyth. There will be staff-led projects and student activities throughout the afternoon which, in addition to subsequent discussions, will supplement your current studies at A-Level/ Further Education.
Our lecturers will ensure that you arrive back on Penglais Campus at around 17.30 to freshen up for the evening buffet, provided by the Institute of Geography, History, Politics and Psychology.
What to bring
We will be out in the "field" all afternoon. Whilst the weather in July is usually settled, we know what British summers can be like... So, we’ve listed both essential and suggested items for you:
- Sturdy and comfortable footwear. We will be walking on well-managed paths for the majority of the day, but there will also be gravelled and cobbled surfaces to navigate as well.
- Comfortable legwear (jeans not always suitable).
- Waterproof jacket.
- Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sun cream).
- Snacks and plenty of fluid for the afternoon.
- A camera.
- A small notepad and pencil.
Also consider bringing:
- A small amount of cash for mid-afternoon refreshments.
For further information, or to express an interest in our Taster Day, please contact Helen Stockley Jones at email@example.com
Q. I'm a teacher, can I bring a group of students along?
A. Absolutely! Please contact us directly to arrange the logistics.
Q. My family/guardians want to travel for the Taster Day too, can they come?
A. By all means, yes! The Taster Day itself is open to students only, but the Institute of Geography, History, Politics and Psychology will offer a range of free activities for your parents or gaurdians during the afternoon.
Q. What time should I/we arrive?
A. We suggest you aim to arrive at 12 noon to allow time for lunch beforehand. The Taster Day begins at 12.45. We will meet in B20 in the Llandinam Building (home of DGES) and aim to begin the fieldtrip proper at 13.00.
Q. What time does the Taster Day finish?
A. We will aim to wrap up the field day activities by 17.30, followed by an evening buffet (time TBC).