Fines are charged if you do not return your library loans (books and/or media equipment) by the due date. You can check on the dates items are due back, any fines that are owing and pay fines by logging into My Account in Primo - the Library Catalogue
Why we charge fines
Demand on Library materials (books and/or media equipment) is continually increasing. Our fines system is intended to encourage users to return borrowed items by the date they are due back so they are available for the next user. This ensures equality of access for all users.
Fines are charged for overdue items as follows:
|Standard Loan (14 days)||20p per day
50p per day if recalled
|Three Day Loan||50p per day|
|Videos (1 day)||20p per day|
|Short Loan Books (24-hours)||20p per hour|
|3 Day DVD's||50p per day|
|Equipment loans||50p per hour|
Fines totalling more than £5 will prevent you from borrowing or renewing items on your library account. When you have reduced your fines under £5 your library borrowing will become active again.
How to avoid fines
- Check due dates and renew loans online 24/7 (How do I do that)
- Check your University email account regularly for emails about recalled and overdue books. Standard Loan items can be recalled from you before the original due date if they have been requested by another user.
- Add your library loans into your online calendar (How do I do that?)
- Print and keep a receipt as a reminder of when the item is due back
- Do not lend your Aber Card to anybody else - you are liable for all items on your account returned late
- Return library materials via the overnight Book Box in front of the main entrance of the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries whenever the Library is closed. Please note Media equipment must NOT be returned using this method.
- If you have enquiries about your loans please contact us as soon as you can.
Paying library fines
You can pay your fines:
- Online using a credit/debit card (How do I do that?)
- In cash using the self issue machines on either Level D of the Hugh Owen Library or the main floor of the Thomas Parry Library (How do I do that?)
- In cash at the Enquiry Desk in the Physical Sciences Library.
If you are having difficulties returning your items or paying your fines, please get in touch with the library at email@example.com or by calling 01970 622400.
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org