27/04/2016On Bank Holiday Mondays, 2 and 30 May, the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries will be open with a limited staffed service (as offered weekends and evenings).
- Hugh Owen Library: Mon 2 May 24/7 as usual; Mon 30 May 8:30-17:30
- Thomas Parry Library: Mon 2 May 7:00-22:00; Mon 30 May 8:30-17:30
- Physical Sciences Library: Mon 2 May 8:30-17:30; Mon 30 May closed
Further information http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/opening-hours/
23/03/2016We’ve now completed a £8.5 million refurbishment of all centrally bookable teaching spaces on the Penglais and Llanbadarn campus.
21/03/2016Information Services have reorganised their website and developed a new home page in order to make it easier for our users to find information. The new pages launched on the 21st March. Every effort has been made to ensure this change is seamless but as some information is in a different location there is a small chance of disruption especially if using old bookmarks or links.
We welcome your feedback and comments on these changes. Please enter your comments in the feedback box at https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/feedback/
11/03/2016Over 20 water fountains are now available across our campuses including new ones in our libraries : www.aber.ac.uk/en/maps-travel/maps/water-fountain
10/03/2016Following feedback, we have introduced a new Library Noise Alert Service in the Thomas Parry Library, 07971548016, alongside the existing service in the Hugh Owen Library. Further information at: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library/study-zones/
09/03/2016Following feedback from library users, we are installing more power and USB sockets by study desks on Levels E & F of the Hugh Owen Library. This follows work to install more power sockets in the Iris de Frietas Room / Quiet Group Study Area last year. The work to install these sockets will take place from Monday 14 March for 4 weeks, over the Easter holidays. Apologies for disruption while this work is ongoing.
08/03/2016Come and take a look at Aberystwyth University influential and early women and the roles they played in making AU what it is today. See when women first studied at AU and who our first female Principal was along with other key figures. http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/news/women-day/
07/03/2016The Quiet Group Study Room in the Hugh Owen Library, Level E, has been renamed the ‘Iris De Freitas’ room in honour of Iris De Freitas, who graduated from Aberystwyth University, achieving a BA in Law in 1922. A renaming ceremony will take place in this room during the afternoon of Tuesday 8th March, on International Women's Day. https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/news/archive/2016/03/title-181429-en.html
04/03/2016The Hugh Owen Library is now open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during term time. We’ve also extended the Thomas Parry Library opening hours from January 2016.
01/03/2016There is currently a trial to Keynote until the 6th April 2016. This database is a great resource for all students across all disciplines. It allows research of potential employers before interviews or applying for a job. See http://aberssel.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/boost-your-employability-with-our.html for more information.
26/02/2016Visit the Modules Information page
Find the webpage for a module by searching for the module code or browsing by department
If a reading list has been created for this module there will be a View on Aspire link to click on
This will take you to the module reading list in Aspire for this academic year
N.B. If you are choosing modules for the next academic year, remember to check on the Modules Information page that the module you are interested in is running next year.
26/02/2016The maximum number of books you can borrow has increased from 15 to 20.
Would you like to use more of the Welsh language on your computer? See our FAQs at https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/ (search for Welsh), or visit us in the Hugh Owen/Thomas Parry library on St David's Day (1st March) for support and Welsh Cakes between 10am-4pm. You can:
- Change Microsoft Office to Welsh - https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/171
- Use the Welsh interface to check your email - https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/182
- Use Cysgliad to check spelling and grammer - https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1604
- Use Blackboard interface in Welsh - https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/570
- Change the language of your computer to Welsh - https://faqs.aber.ac.uk
- Upload the Welsh version of Open Office - http://www.openoffice.org/cy
19/02/2016In response to user feedback that important information is being missed, we are turning off the "Clutter" function in Office365. If someone chooses to turn Clutter back on, it will be turned off again.
17/02/2016Problems with your laptop? Free diagnostic available from Information Services' team of experienced technicians, who can provide maintenance and repair services for student owned PCs, laptops and peripherals with both Windows and Apple operating systems. More info at http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/repairs/
14/02/2016Help make the Library a good place to work in by keeping it clean.
Tidy up after yourself - use the recycling bins and avoid leaving litter on the tables or stairs.
Help improve our campus with cleaner, litter free libraries and learning spaces.
There is now full Wifi coverage in all academic buildings, our student residences and most outdoor spaces.
12/02/2016The Hugh Owen Library is now open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week during term time. We’re also extending the Thomas Parry Library opening hours from January 2016.
03/02/2016You can check computer availability online at :https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/computers/rooms/
We’ve made more bookable spaces available for students across every campus : www.aber.ac.uk/en/ timetable/room-bookings
01/02/2016You asked for more comfortable chairs in the libraries
During January and February 2016, we are replacing over 1000 chairs in our libraries with more comfortable, ergonomic chairs for study and computer spaces. This is in response to feedback from students and staff in recent surveys
• Want to see more comfortable chairs
• The library seats are still highly uncomfortable, especially those plastic chairs
• Want to see better chairs
• Library could do with refurbishment the tables and chairs are tired and damaged.
• Want to see more supportive chairs, the ones in the group study areas are not very supportive on your back
• Some of the chairs in the library are falling through, so it feels like they could rip at any moment.
• Want to see fewer broken chairs
• Comfier chairs (at desks not computers) in the physical science library.
29/01/2016We’ve now completed a £8.5 million refurbishment of all centrally bookable teaching spaces on the Penglais and Llanbadarn campus.
29/01/2016Wednesday afternoons are now kept free of centrally timetabled teaching activities.
29/01/2016Over 20 water fountains are now available across our campuses including new ones in our libraries : www.aber.ac.uk/en/maps-travel/maps/water-fountain
06/01/2016If you are looking for a book or journal article that is not available in one of the University libraries, we have the following options for you:-
Postgraduate research students- Document Supply Service is free up to a maximum of 10 requests per academic year.
04/01/2016Choose a relevant session from the schedule for your computer (Windows or Mac) in a time slot convenient for your location then sign up.
04/01/2016Happy New Year!
The academic timetable for semester two is now available on your online student record.
If you have any concerns about your timetable, your departmental timetable officer and staff at the timetable office will be on hand to advise you. The contact details for all departmental timetable officers are available on the timetabling web site: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/timetable/departmental-timetable-officers/
The Timetable Office can be contacted at email@example.com
23/12/2015Due to library user feedback, the term time opening hours for the Thomas Parry Library have been extended to 7am-10pm Monday-Sunday from 2016. See the opening hours webpages for further details: http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/opening-hours/
In addition to extended opening hours, here are a few tips for Llanbadarn based students on how to make the best of library resources over the exam period
- If you find it easier to work in the Hugh Owen Library during this period, please remember that the Intersite service will deliver books from any AU library to any AU library of your choosing, so you can request books from Thomas Parry library to be delivered to the Hugh Owen Library - https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/library/intersite/
- You can also return books at any AU library.
- Short loan items have had their loan periods extended from 10 hours to 24 hours. This 24-hour borrowing period is be based on the opening hours of the library from which the item is borrowed – so if borrowed during term-times at 10pm on Monday from the Thomas Parry Library – it will be due back at 4pm on the Wednesday. Please check your library account on Primo to check when your books are due back. primo.aber.ac.uk
- Undergraduates can now borrow more books at any one time – up from 15 to 20.
- Electronic resources are available to you at any time. See the subject pages for more information - http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/subject/index.html
For more information and for additional help and support, see the Information Services webpages at http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/index.html
14/12/2015We now have trial access to IA Reporter, a news and analysis service tracking international arbitrations between foreign investors and sovereign governments. Trial ends 20th February. https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/is/elecinfo/trials/
20/11/2015A reminder that Information Services carries out essential maintenance on the University’s ICT services on Tuesday mornings. Access to all services, including email and web access, must be considered "At Risk" between 7am and 10am. Further information at: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/94 We apologise for any inconvenience.