Why train with us?
The School of Education at Aberystwyth University has a long-established history of delivering innovative degree programmes for future teachers.
Since 1872, our research and practice led approach has developed generations of teachers that have inspired pupils from all corners of the world to become successful.
These are just some of the reasons why you should consider Aberystwyth for your Initial Teacher Training year.
- Our innovative Initial Teacher Training (PGCE) enables you to experience teacher training at both Primary and Secondary schools.
- All students who have met their entry requirements and have enrolled onto the course starting in September will be offered free University Accommodation for the 8 weeks required on campus. This means that you will be able to live in Aberystwyth University campus accommodation for the duration of the university contact time (8 weeks), have access to all of our facilities (Students’ Union, Library, free platinum Gym membership) and get to know your fellow course members who will be starting on their teaching journey too.
- You will be taught and mentored by practitioners who have a wealth of experience, knowledge and skills to instil in your formative year as student teachers.
- We are partnered with Primary and Secondary schools located across the Mid-Wales corridor, South West Wales and North Wales. Please visit our dedicated page to get to know the potential partners who you may be collaborating with for your teacher training year. Our partners also assist us with the interview process, so you will meet one of our partners during your PGCE interview.
- If you currently don’t have a B grade GCSE in Mathematics, English or Welsh you will be eligible to sit an Equivalency test at the University. If you currently have a D grade or below at Science, we also offer you the opportunity to sit an equivalency paper for this subject.
- As part of the application procedure, all applicants will be required to sit entry tests which include Numeracy, Literacy (English) and a Welsh Literacy test (for those studying through the medium of Welsh only). Further information on the Entry Tests can be found on our dedicated page.
- Aberystwyth University is the only university in Wales to be awarded the University of the Year for Teaching Quality twice in consecutive years by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 and 2018.
- The University has also been awarded Gold for Postgraduate Studies in the 2019 What University Student Choice Awards.