GCSE Equivalency Test
PGCE applicants who do not meet the entry requirements for GCSE English, Welsh, Maths and Science will be offered the opportunity to take an equivalency test.
The tests are designed to meet the GCSE grade requirements for entry into Aberystwyth University's Initial Teacher Training courses only.
Here are the steps in the process.
- Make your application through UCAS in the usual way, ensuring that you tick the box ‘Equivalence test applied for’.
- If your application meets the other requirements of the course, you will be called for interview.
- If your interview is satisfactory, you will be offered the opportunity to take the necessary equivalence test(s) as a condition of your offer.
- To be eligible to take the exams, you must have replied, or intend to reply ‘Firm’.
- The tests will take place at Aberystwyth University and you will be sent details of the date, a sample paper and further guidance.
- You must indicate whether you wish to take the Maths and Science tests in English or in Welsh.
- You are allowed to retake the test once during the year in which you apply.
The first test is free. If you need to resit the test, there will be a charge of £75.00.
Applicants with a declared learning need must inform Admissions when booking a place and provide evidence in advance of the exam so that reasonable adjustments can be made on the day. Applicants will be allowed 15 minutes extra time for each test. Evidence will also need to be provided on the day.
Photographic ID, eg passport or driving licence, will need to be provided on the day. You will not be permitted to sit the test if this is not shown.
You are strongly advised to undertake some tuition in preparation for the tests. The following resources may be helpful: https://www.bbc.com/bitesize.