Borrowing from the Library
Due to Covid-19 borrowing from the University Library is available using our Click and Collect Service
Find out more
How many items can I borrow?
|Borrower category||Number of items|
Postgraduates (Taught and Research)
|Aberystwyth/Bangor borrowing scheme
Learn Welsh Students
Lifelong Learning Students
Summer University Students
How long can I borrow items for?
|Item||Length of Loan||Automatic Renewal||Requests|
|PGCE Collection books
(These books have a green strip on the spine)
|Equipment loans||1 week||Not automatically renewed||Yes|
|Journals (Periodicals) held in the Library||24 hour loan to staff only||No||No|
|Journals (Periodicals) held in the external store||1 week||Yes||Yes|
|Theses||Not for loan||No||No|
|Reference Material||Not for loan||No||No|
Please Note: When an item is already requested by another user at the point of issue, a reduced loan period of 2 days will be allocated. This is to facilitate access to the material and ensure fairness. Users will be notified of the due date and will receive reminders to return.
*Distance Learning students can borrow books for 4 weeks. These will be renewed for another 4 weeks unless they have been requested by another user or they have reached their maximum 6 month loan period
**PGCE students on placement can borrow books from the PGCE collection for the whole period of their placement. When not on placement, PGCE student can borrow books from the PGCE collection for 2 weeks.
How do I borrow items?
- You can borrow items from the University's Libraries using the self issue machines located on each floor of the library. Instructions for using these are here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1180
- You will need your Aber Card
- Equipment loans need to be collected from the Enquiry Desk
Can I renew my loans?
We will automatically renew your books/DVDs for you until:
- they are requested by another user
- they have reached the maximum 12 months borrowing period
- your library account expires.
You will be emailed to let you know when your items need to be returned so check your email account regularly.
If you wish to renew equipment loans please contact us
You will also receive a monthly email detailing the items you have on loan.
What happens if an item I have on loan is requested by another user?
- If another user requests an item you have on loan you will be emailed to let you know
- The item will not be renewed and you will have to return it by the date/time due, even if you are away from Campus.
- You can check the date/time in Primo. Instructions for doing this are available here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1106
What happens if I do not return my loans when they are due?
- If you do not return the items when they are due you will incur a fine.
- If you are unable to return them by the date and time due please contact us.
How do I return my loans
Books/DVDs can be returned:
- using the book return machine on Level D, Hugh Owen Library.
- using the book issue/return machine in the Physical Sciences Library.
Instructions for using these are here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/1179
- using the Vacation Book Returns at the main entrance to the Hugh Owen Library (only available when the library is closed).
Equipment loans and videos
- return to the Enquiry Desk in the Hugh Owen Library.
What do I do if a book I need is already out on loan?
- If an item you need is out on loan, you can request it so when it is returned it is held at the Enquiry Desk. Instructions for doing this are here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/814
- You will be emailed to let you know the item is waiting for you.
- Items that have been requested will not be renewed for the current borrower and will have to be returned by the date/time due.
- You can check the status of your requests following the instructions here: https://faqs.aber.ac.uk/848
What do I do if I have lost an item I have borrowed
- If you lose an item that you have out on loan please contact us as soon as possible.
- You will be invoiced the cost of replacing the item along with any overdue fines incurred on the item if it was requested by another user.
- Once an invoice has been raised you will not be able to borrow any more items until it has been paid.
- Should the item subsequently be found and returned to the library, the replacement cost will be refunded but you will still be liable to pay overdue fines.