Borrowing from the Library
Summer Vacation Loans
|Loan Status||Length of Loan|
|Standard Loan||From Monday, 21st May 2018 until Friday, 28th September 2018|
|Three Day Loan||From Wednesday, 30th May 2018 until Friday, 28th September 2018|
|Short Loan||Usual loan periods apply|
The number of items you can borrow from the library depends on your user status:
|User Status||Number of Items|
|Undergraduates (including Language and Learning students)||20 items|
|Postgraduate (taught)||25 items|
|Postgraduates (research)||40 items|
|Distance Learning Students||20 items (standard loans only)|
|Lifelong Learning Students||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Associate Readers||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Learn Welsh Students||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Honorary/Retired/Emeritus||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Sconul Access (Bands A, B and C)||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Aberystwyth/Bangor borrowing scheme||10 items (standard loans only)|
|Summer University Students||10 items (standard loans only)|
You can borrow items from the University's Libraries using your Aber Card.
For books and other library materials:
- You can use the self-issue machines, located in each library or visit the Enquiry Desk. The self-issue machines are quick and easy to use; full instructions are available next to each machine and you will need your Aber card.
- Full details of equipment available for loan, booking arrangements and loan periods can be found on the Equipment loans webpage.
Special borrowing arrangements are made for Distance Learning students and PGCE students on placement.
|Loan Status or Collection Name||Length of Loan||Description||Vacation Loan||Renewal||Reservation|
|Standard Loan books||14 days **(PGCE students see below)
|Journals (Periodicals)||Not For Loan||-||-||-|
|Three Day Loan books (including DVDs)||3 days||Red strip on spine||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Short Loan Collection books||24 hours (based on library opening hours)||Yellow strip on spine||No||No||No|
|Distance Learning Collection books||4 weeks for distance learning and continuing education students
10 hours for all other users
|Large yellow dot on spine||No||Yes||Yes|
|PGCE Collection books||**variable depending on whether on campus or on placement||Green strip on spine (Hugh Owen library)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Theses||Not for loan||May be read in the Library||No|
|Reference Material||Not for loan||May be read in the Library||-||-||No|
|Equipment loans||3 days||Equipment loans||No||Yes||Yes|
If another user requests the item you have on loan the due date may change to an earlier due date. You will be emailed to advise that this has happened and you will need to return the item by the new date. Fines charged on recalled items not returned by the new due date are higher - see Fines If a recalled item is not returned on time, you will be unable to borrow or renew any other books on your library account. If you have any queries regarding your library borrowing, please contact us as soon as possible.
You can renew your books:
- online through Primo - the library catalogue (how do I do that?)
- using the Self-Issue machines - instructions are available next to the machine. You will need your Aber Card.
- at the Enquiry Desk in the Hugh Owen and the Physical Sciences libraries.
In order to renew your loans your account must be free of fines totalling £5 or more and you must have returned overdue recalled books. If another user has placed a reservation on an item, you will not be able to renew it and if you do not return it on time you will pay an enhanced fine - see fines information
- Please use the Book Return machine on Level D, Hugh Owen Library and in the Physical Sciences Library. You can use this to return all items borrowed from each library, except Videos which should be returned at the Enquiry Desks. When the library is closed, please use the Vacation Book Returns box at the main entrance to the Hugh Owen Library.
- If you are unable to return your books in person to the library, please contact us as soon as possible.
- Please return to the Enquiry Desk in the Hugh Owen Library.
If an item you need is out on loan, you can reserve it so that when it is returned it is held at the Enquiry Desk for three days for you to collect. You will be emailed to let you know the item is waiting for you.
Instructions on how to make reservations can be found here
You can check the status of your reservations by logging in to My Account in Primo - the library catalogue
Fines are charged if you do not return your library loans by the due date. For full information on fines and how to pay them, please see this page
- If you lose an item that you have out on loan please let the Enquiry Desk staff know as soon as possible.
- You will be charged the cost of replacing the item along with any overdue fines incurred on the item (up to a maximum fines level of £5 per item).
- Invoices are raised for items that are 30 days overdue and have not been returned to the library.
- Once an invoice for these costs has been raised you will not be able to borrow any more items until it has been paid.
- Once an invoice has been raised it becomes a University debt and must be paid in full before you can move to the next year of your course, or before you graduate.
- Should the item subsequently be found and returned to the library, the replacement cost will be refunded but you will also still be liable to pay overdue fines.
If you cannot find a book where it should be on the shelf, and it is neither on the rough shelving or trolleys, ask at the Enquiry Desk at any of our libraries to fill out a mislaid items form. We will search for the item for 4 weeks before passing it on for possible re-purchase. If we find the item we will let you know by email. See also Finding a Book in the Library
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org