|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Workshop Development: Attendance, punctuality, commitment and development and progress in workshops.||30%|
|Semester Assessment||Working notebook||20%|
|Semester Exam||Practical Examination||50%|
Typically, upon completion of this module, students should be able to:
- understand the key principles involved in creating a stage character within the broad conventions of psychological realism.
- employ such principles effectively in the creation of a short character etude.
- demonstrate an awareness of the relationship between actor and director within the rehearsal room.
- notate and document the theatrical procedures and training encountered in the module.
Semester One will be for Single Honours Drama students only
Semester Two will be for Joint Honours Drama students only
An introduction into the principles of effective acting, based on the systematic approach to the actor's craft, advocated by Constantin Stanislavski
This module is available to both single- and joint-honours second year Drama students. There is no entry requirement except successful completion of Part 1 Drama. Single-honours students should note that a mark of 55% is required to take DR22620: The Theory and Practice of Acting 2 in the second semester of the second year; joint-honours students should note that a mark of 55% is required to take DR23610: The Theory and Practice of Acting 3 in the second semester of the second year.
- To test the value and relevance of these principles within the laboratory of a rehearsal environment under the guidance of the course tutorand to present the outcome in a practical examination.
- To formulate an individual psycho-technique for rehearsal and performance
- To keep an analytic record of work undertaken in the form of a working notebook.
to the departmental web pages at http://www.aber.ac.uk/tfts/duedates.shtml
Reading ListEssential Reading
Barton, John (1984) Playing Shakespeare London: Methuen Primo search Chekhov, Michael (1991) On the technique of acting New York: Harper Collins Primo search Harrap, John (1992) Acting London: Routledge Primo search Stanislavsky, Constantine (1980) An Actor Prepares London: Methuen Primo search Stanislavsky, Constantine (1983) Building a Character London: Methuen Primo search Stanislavsky, Constantine (1983) Creating a Role London: Methuen Primo search
Stanislavsky, Constantine (1980) My Life in Art London: Methuen Primo search The Department has a supplementary booklet recommending reading lists for all practical modules. Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5