|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||15 minute presentation per student.|
|Other||24 days of work experience to be taken during January.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Industrial placement portfolio of completed tasks||70%|
|Semester Assessment||Post-placement presentation (15 minutes)||20%|
|Semester Assessment||Employer Report||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Presentation and employer report marks to be carried forward. Resubmit elements of coursework.|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Sustain a work placement for a required period of time.
2. Work to a set schedule within a business, academic or a government environment and complete tasks in a timely , effective and efficient manner.
3. Work independently but also within a team envioronment.
4. Complete GIS and/or remote sensing related tasks to an agreed standard.
5. Apply the knowledge and experience gained in GIS/remote sensing modules to real work situations and for applications development and research.
6. Assess and reflect on the value and relevance of the work experience gained through a post placement presentation.
7. Assess the contribution of the placement experience to their career development.
- Environment Systems: a GIS company in Aberystwyth that has close links with IGES.
- Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) GIS unit, Aberystwyth.
- IGES, Remote Sensing Laboratory.
For each placement, students will be given a specified and mutually agreed GIS/remote sensing application problem, which they will address through individual research and teamwork within the organisation supporting the placement. Each poroject will have a commercial and/or research emphasis.
Students will provide a portofolio of their work and present a 15 minute seminar on their work experience at the end of the period. The Employer will provide a report on the performance of the student.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||May be required for certain tasks|
|Communication||Oral discussion and presentation|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Library and web-based referencing|
|Information Technology||Depending on placement but is expected to include the use of commercial remote sensing software (e.g. IDL ENVI, eCognition, SOCET SET, Gamma and Erdas imagine) for practical applications. Specific skills in programming and statistical analyses|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Career needs awareness|
|Problem solving||Students may be set specific tasks to solve particular problem e.g. the creation of new software|
|Research skills||May be required to solve specific tasks|
|Subject Specific Skills||Image and geographical analysis.|
|Team work||Will be required when working in industry|
This module is at CQFW Level 7