|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||3 Hours Written examination||80%|
|Semester Assessment||1500 word essay||20%|
|Supplementary Exam||3 Hours Written examination||100%|
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
* Identify and critically analyse different models of corporate governance.
* Critically analyse and evaluate the role of monitors and gatekeepers.
* Describe, illustrate and discuss the importance of corporate risk management.
* Demonstrate a critical evaluation of corporate social responsibility.
* Identify and critically assess the value of ethics and codes of conduct.
* Assess the impact of the regulatory environment on governance.
* Critically illustrate and discuss the development of the corporate governance paradigm.
* Identify and critically assess governance practice in the international context.
The module aims to present issues of corporate governance arising from the separation of ownership and control in large corporations, combining this with the study of Corporate Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Governance Regulation.
- The different mechanisms and control models of corporate governance
- The monitoring model of corporate governance
- Role and function of gatekeepers
- The dynamic aspect of corporate governance
- Corporate risk management
- Business behaviour and corporate social responsibility
- Ethical codes, standards and behaviour
- The regulatory environment
- Development of governance codes and practices
- Corporate governance and practices in its European and international context
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Treatment of numerical problems in tutorial exercises, and appropriate examination question.|
|Communication||Tutorial class discussion and production and presentation of group assignments.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||In preparation for, attending and participating in and reflecting on tutorial classes. Preparing and producing essay and eventual assessment in examination.|
|Information Technology||Appropriate accessing of the internet for reference material, and use of word-processing skills in essay production.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Development of various personal and interpersonal skills, generally transferable in career terms, including initiative, independence and self-awareness - in addition to skills listed above|
|Problem solving||Treated in lectures and applied in tutorials.|
|Research skills||Obtaining, selecting, assimilating information from a variety of sources for use in tutorials, essay preparation and production and expanding on lecture material.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Government policy issues and impact treated in lectures and tutorials.|
|Team work||Group oriented tutorial tasks.|
Reading ListRecommended Text
Crane, Andrew. (2004.) Business ethics :a European perspective : managing corporate citizenship and sustainability in the age of globalization /Andrew Crane and Dirk Matten. In addition, topical journal articles to be downloaded from electronic databases, Blackboard, and the internet. Oxford University Press Primo search Mallin, Christine (Feb. 2007) Corporate Governance 2nd ed. Oxford University Press Primo search Monks, R A G and Minow, N (2004) Corporate Governance 3rd Edition Blackwell Primo search Solomon, J (2007) Corporate Governance and Accountability 2nd edition Wiley Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 6